That portrait illustration above by Aleksandra is a great example of how to handle hair with lost edges and such. The armor too. Sure the armor there is borderline royo erotica lol, but it still gives a nice impression of having some plate components. If there was an undertunic, or an under-hauberk with some mesh to protect the vital organs I think such a look would be essentially perfect. The prob with separate chestplates that hug the figure so closely is that they would direct a weapon towards the core/heart too easily. So it'd be a better design with a single breast plate, instead of two like a bra or bikini top, but otherwise I like the style elements. What we're seeing below is the fantasy equivalent of a babe in a trenchcoat and heels but lingerie or no clothes underneath. Obviously to work on the daily that armor set would need a cloth or leather component to be believable. Metal armor doesn't work like playtex hehe, but I think she was going more for the wowza effect, which definitely carries lol. Throw some chain under that getup though, and it's an instant win. I especially like the spider brooch and web-like strapping.

But the hair there especially, it's handled quite well, and I wish BG3 would do something similar. All the hair models in this game need to have their rastery-ness dialed back with some blur or something, so it doesn't give off that pixilation at various levels of zoom. They also need to work on all the clipping, because strands of hair clipping through ears or clothing is worse than having no hair strands at all.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

But yeah, dark eyes, whether red or purple I don't care much, just ditch the glitter. It's distracting visually and doesn't really look good at any zoom.

ps.

Originally Posted by Tara Grimface
Wow this really shows how bad that silver eyeshadow is; I cannot even imagine why they would do this; they need to get a woman who is competent at applying makeup to work on Minthara; they could have easily done a better job than this. When I look at artwork of Drow Females; none of them have bright eyeshadow; they all look good.

I agree. Like anyone who pays any attention at all to what their girlfriend gets up to at her vanity should see that's a pretty poorly executed plan heheh. More glitter! More! I know just enough about wardrobe to know that I shouldn't be putting anything in the washing machine that isn't mine, but even I can tell that the new Minthara has like no sense of style right now! Someone needs to help her get it together. You can't be running shit for the Absolute looking like that. She needs like a makeup makeover intervention or something in patch 6 hehehe

pps. Here this is also interesting, I got the game to glitch out when selecting a non-standard skin color from the "all skin colors" tab or I don't know what happened exactly. It turned the normally silvery eyeliner from silver to red. The head model was in the one mod I bothered to download, which added some companion heads and a few more elf heads and such, but anyhow thought it was interesting. The rest of the makeup selection works as normal, so it's a feature of the head I guess. I'm not sure how it's unpacked or whatever, but you can see the makeup closer that way than the in game zoom. Its more like what we get in the cutscenes, but still rastery looking to me. Just tonally though, when the shadow is red rather than silver/white the read at a smaller zoom is much cleaner. So I guess give her some glitter if you want to, just make it a much darker hue so it's not so blaring haha. This red is still way too bright, but it's better than the silver and indicates where the problems are I think.

Personally I think Minthara totally owned that rocker hair!

But somebody somewhere asked what she might look like with a shadowheart braid, so this was as close as I could get to that. The choice of hair does make a pretty big difference in the overall vibe. Especially when the face isn't animated. Probably like a quarter of the characterization is coming from the haircut alone hehe. I just had her up in the chain cause cleric is the default in the char creator, but I think the colors work better and the armor is better, so that's for that lol

same head in the braid

same head in the topknot

and in that red carpet oscar night hairddo that everyone seems to like for the elf pcs. Probably because it doesn't clip through the ears like some others hehe. Maybe way off character for Minthara, but I think indicates why the haircut choice is such a big deal.

fucks you up in volleyball Minthara? lol

Makes a difference which hairdo she is sporting no doubt. I mean I definitely have a preference for some haircuts over others, but they are all made more tolerable when the silvery eyeshadow thing is dialed back (not bright red like the above, but maybe a very dark red or dark blue or dark purple) and when her brows and lashes are dark again. Even the standard pixie looks better that way. Hopefully they clean it up and don't let it settle too much. Any of the above would clearly be much cooler with plate mail or splint in darker hues.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 26/08/21 02:24 AM.