Originally Posted by Boblawblah
i'm really having a difficult time trying to figure out how to level my companions. there's just so many options and i don't really know anything about the Pathfinder system. I'm going to have to do some serious research lol. Loving it though, put in a good 5 hours today. I love how I can have in-depth conversations with npcs/companions.
It might be too late for you, but I left on "companion auto-level." The nice thing is that the game doesn't just do it automatically; you still have to click the level up prompt and then you see what abilities the auto-level-upper plans to pick. This gives you a general feeling of what the companion is being built towards, and at any point if you don't like the choices you can go back to manual leveling up (irreversible decision). I.e., it's easier to say "hey I don't like that decision that's being made; this one looks better!" vs "omg which of the dozens of abilities should I choose?"

I'll echo Saito's advice to keep them single-classed unless you know what you're doing. And then yeah, don't worry about making mistakes because there is a respec NPC (you might have to turn them on in the difficulty settings).