Camellia and Lann can get really nasty towards each other too. Consistently so.

[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

I mean, I really don't want to speak on this, but I will probably forget if I don't and since we're bringing it up now...

On the topic of BG3, I only hope to see a similar level of party interactivity by the time the rest of the companions get to join our parties here. I feel the only real reason the BG3 companions are seemingly universally polarizing at the moment is that they give off the impression that they are seemingly detached from the actual plot, or maybe even clashing with it in terms of trying to catch your attention. Like you could remove Gale or Astarion especially, or move them to joining the party later in the game, and the narrative of the actual story probably wouldn't feel like it has changed in any significant way. Granted, there's only 5 companions that can join us right now, but the lack of variety just makes this viewpoint seem worse than it actually is.

Remove any of the WotR companions in comparison, and you not only lose the perspective they bring to the narrative and from their specific backgrounds in terms of how they relate to the actual story, but you also lose the party banter that serves to build up the other characters interacting with them too. This becomes especially apparent later in the game, especially throughout chapter 3. It's an interesting comparison of writing philosophy, at least.

When I played the game for the first time through alpha phase 1, I didn't think the party members were really anything special at first. Then alpha phase 2 happened with chapter 3 being added, and my opinions on all of the companions had completely flipped by the end of it.

Like Ember. I thought she was just the eternally annoying young optimist character for no good reason. Oh boy, I was so glad to be very wrong on this front. She's still an optimist, but tempered by an understanding of reality that stops her from going into full stupid, and her optimism despite all she has experienced is instead one of her strengths rather than a flaw. Very intriguing, really.

For example, if your character is an atheist, you get this unique dialogue with Ember.

[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

Now that I know I'm not alone in this assessment with the game being fully released, it makes me excited to see how people will analyze the rest of the cast in a few weeks from now.

I would say the weakest companion in WotR is Sosiel, but I would say that might be purely because I never really noticed him interacting with the rest of party or reacting to certain situations/enemies as much as everyone else does. Not even when I did bring him into the active party during his personal quests and a certain thing temporarily forcing players to change up the party in the second half of chapter 2. And whenever he does interject in something, it's not that interesting, I think. But the devs have long known that Sosiel was generally universally agreed to be the worst companion from a writing standpoint throughout the entire testing period, so I wonder if the last beta phase and the full release may have improved him somewhat.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 04/09/21 11:24 AM.