Just cause "Evil" was brought up... hehe

I don't know about the writing, (maybe it sounds cooler in Russian?) but one thing I did enjoy going back to 3.5 is that Alignment actually still exists there. I felt immediately at home seeing the dual Axis thing again, even if its represented by the wheel there now, since it's honestly been a while.

I think getting rid of the alignment system is a little misguided, like truly ditching a core component of what differentiated D&D from other similar games.

Perhaps its overly simplistic, sure, but it was nevertheless a D&D innovation and pretty novel. To ask players to actually think about ethics when creating a character, and to do so in a slightly more nuanced way than just "Good vs Bad, Hero or Villain?" that was a gift real from D&D, and probably my first exposure to entry level ethics as a kid.

Encouraging players to consider the idea that one might be Lawful but also Evil at the same time, or that one could be Chaotic but also essentially Good, or to be Neutral with regard to either idea, Law vs Chaos or Good vs Evil. That's rather more sophisticated than what we typically get in real life, or what happens in-game when the scheme is eliminated with nothing to replace it.

When it's gone things just sort of revert back into a simple Good vs Bad situation, pancaking everything down onto 1 Axis again.
Removing Alignment removes some of the key internal/external conflict drivers that might inform the characterization or plot/paths too. Even the cosmology scheme gets upended in its absence.

Choosing an alignment starting point (even if its a fluid system, and not fixed forever) was one of the ways to get players thinking about their character as a Character, instead of just being totally impulsive or capricious in their choices. It provided a pause and a little separation between the character's motivations and the player's motivations.

Anyhow, I miss it, and I think its absence in BG3 is notable.

I know many people say 'good riddance' or that it was too meta or too inconsistent anyway, but I think its ultimately going to hurt the D&D experience in the long term, not having Alignment anymore. Eventually they're probably just going to have to reintroduce the idea again in subsequent editions, or they'll wind up with something that can't really escape the Good/Bad binary, which is kind of boring by comparison.