Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Salami as an improvised weapon shouldn't really change anything about the game overall. And sorcerer has had data-mined spells for a while now, so I think it's more of a put out a new class sooner than later. A shift away from classes by order of difficulty. Also, after druid are any classes really that difficult? They should be mostly equivalent.
Bards in particular are probably difficult. People have determined that expertise is in the game, sure, but two big bardic features are reactions and bardic inspiration. Inspiration is particularly tricky: is it a separate icon (clunky)? Is it just automatically applied on your next d20 roll (weak)? Does it open a pop-up prompt with every d20 roll until you use it (seemingly against Larian's philosophy)? Does it apply to all d20 rolls made in the next round? Implementing bard isn't difficult in a technical sense, but it very much involves complicated decisions that might affect other systems.

Originally Posted by Roethen
I'm happy to hear the addition of Sorcerer, and can understand why the team decided to include this class: it's popular and they already had a lot of the means to create it (by this I mostly mean the spells as game data). Patience with the process is important. Don't expect very complex classes and races right out the gate with this if you want a quality game. I imagine the reason they're going these particular routes is to build upon the classes and races that already exist (using the existing game data) to build something more niche. All I'm saying is that it makes sense. I appreciate the developers' effort.
I understand advocation for patience and understnading (especially with covid), but "right out of the gate" is a bit misleading at this point imo. It has been a year of EA, and 3-4 years of working on the game. It's not that unreasonable to expect that more classes would have been released by now. There's also the question of: what does releasing sorcerer get Larian? Is it just to please fans who want new content? Or is there an aspect of sorcerer that is relevant to EA testing and balance? Both are fine, but tbh I'd prefer that Larian released content that fulfilled the latter, since earlier testing and feedback (the point of EA) would better help Larian develop the game.