I don't think I've ever watched another panel after the first one, but I always read these synopses. Thanks for taking the time!

ps. I've had an impression for a while, that you sort of confirmed, regarding the cavalier and somewhat capricious attitude towards glitches or exploits, systems critiques and such, that go continually unaddressed by Larian's top brass. It's hard to discern sometimes, if Larian has done something specifically to get a rise out of us. If they are playing it disingenuous or sarcastic, almost like an inside joke at the EA participants' expense. Like "so you think it's too clean and bright? you want it dirty? Well then, we'll show you grime!" Maybe they laugh behind the scenes, cause they know its only a temporary extreme in the presentation. Lae'zel's demeanor or Shadowheart's being made less abrasive. Same deal with Minthara's appearance. As if they are poking fun for a whole patch, just because they know it will get a strong negative reaction, and then another more positive one after they course correct, like "this is where we were headed all along." It's a little exhausting though.

At this point I'm saying that all my feedback is directed towards the rank and file developers who are doing the real work on this thing. I worry that they are at pains to please their boss, instead of trying to please his boss, which is us - the end users. The ones who are actually bank rolling this effort and paying everyone's salaries. If Swen is happy that might be a relief in the office, but if we're not, then that's a bigger problem.

Also, just a quick aside, but I'm ready to dive in without the ten foot pole. Using language effectively, means appreciating who one is speaking with. If I'm down on the docks chilling with Myriad Happenings, then for sure, you can count on my ability to use expletives to great effect. I take a definite pride in it, getting colorful with the full box of crayons. I find that in many instances this will put people at ease, by suggesting a level of informality and comradery which many people respond quite well to. It can break down class barriers and make the other person feel comfortable and more willing to engage in a genuine way. However, if I'm uncertain of who I'm speaking with, then I will moderate this to a high degree. If it's a first meeting say, or in a professional setting, dealing with a client or someone in management, some other unknown, whathaveyou, then its better to refrain. Size em up first, cause it often only takes a few moments to get a read.

To be a good pontifex and bridge divides, its best to be adaptive and considerate. Sometimes language which might seem euphemistic and friendly, may upon further examination be even more hurtful. Just as an example, there is a pejorative for the word mute, that I probably picked up as a kid. And if I called Minsc 'dumber than a bag of hammers' somewhere (which I know I did, cause the phrase seemed funny at the time, and something my dad used to say a lot) now I would totally regret making use of that turn of phrase. Because I was speaking out of school and not thinking about who might be reading that. It was mindless and a mistake, but maybe not harmless, and so that sort of thing can happen quite often. Mea culpa.

The main point being that Larian likewise should probably try to be mindful where they can and get a better read on the player. Just because something is ubiquitous doesn't make it appropriate, and getting away with something in one context doesn't mean that's going to happen every time. There is a thesaurus for a reason. So one approach would be to include among the various settings, like difficulty or gore, one for language. I'm sure I'd select the hail satan version myself, but I can appreciate where that wouldn't fly for others. They don't have to self-censor their writing to be more accommodating, they can let the player do that for them, up front in the options, prior to launching the game. Create a job for somebody, or maybe a couple people. Editors are not the enemy, they're there to help the writer avoid embarrassment. Just something to think on there for the devs.

Best, Elk

Last edited by Black_Elk; 16/10/21 09:01 AM.