Originally Posted by Wormerine
@Topgoon - all agree. I would add that silly content in BG1&2 is a bit more out of the way. I don't remember stuff like that popping during those games "serious" moments - like the sequence in the Spellhold. Witcher3 sure had three farting trolls named and voiced by streamers, but it's generally not what people think of when they think Witcher3 story content. BG3 with it's compact structure puts those things side by side. One second you will stop druid from murdering a child, and then fight a squirrel right after that.

I agree with you that there are tonal issues - in particularly the WTFs/yucks moments (i.e. the brain extraction and what the Owlbear cub's actions after a particular fight), but I honestly didn't feel like too much stood out from a humor standpoint.

I have close to 300 hours in BG3 EA but I've never run into the squirrel fight, even after 2 playthroughs as a druid. I'm guessing it's an animal I can talk to in the Grove? I honestly wouldn't say that is shoved in your face, but I might be an exception when it comes to not talking to animals (I mainly remember to do it for Scratch).

Spellhold. Ugh. Didn't have good memories of it from before, and having just replayed it I can firmly say it's my least favorite part of my replay for sure. Don't want to derail the thread, but it's basically all the tropes I don't like in an RPG/Narrative put into one location. In terms of what what we're talking about - I don't know, there are some wacky lines inserted into somewhat serious moments there too, like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is supposed to be a tense moment in the game (especially if you're playing for the 1st time), and lines like this definitely feels off. IMO it's written in a way that seems to want to be funny, but doesn't actually get there.