Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Tiax? What about Minsc? A whole companion character that is just a huge immersion breaking comic relief. And they put him right into your face in BG2 prologue so you won't miss the cringy small giant space hamster nonsense.
What was so immersion breaking about him? He seemed to react to his surrounding in an appropriate manner, and knowing nothing about DnD, I always assumed Boo to be a normal hamster, whom simple-minded Minsc imagines to be something more. The closes thing to immersion breaking I can think of, are things characters say when you click on them - "Yes, oh omnipresent authority figure?" - no doubt a left over of RTS genre, and not the best fit for BGs. And definitely there were things I couldn't stand - like the taking sword.

Lightharted yes, but especially BG2 didn't feel like it was taking piss so often, as BG3 does. Crude and clumsy at times, yes.

Using gaming analogy BG1&2 remind me more of the original Mafia - clumsy and unpolished, with some really bad references and jokes, generally lighthearted but with genuine attempt to tell a good gangster story. BG3 feels more like Saints Row to me - just a whole lot of snark and piss taking.

Originally Posted by ash elemental
Not an excuse. There is nothing in the main plot that required Tiax to be put into Spellhold. And yet there he is, placed by the writers on purpose.
Never played BG1 with anyone else then "BG2 starting party", so I am rather unfamiliar in Tiax. I do remember him sticking out in the Spellhold. So it comes down to: BG1&2 was also bad at times.

Originally Posted by robertthebard
This is especially disturbing when it's optional content that needs to go because it "breaks my immersion"...
What is "optional content" exactly? I don't remember, any "Wild Wasteland" perk, that filters stuff out.