Originally Posted by Dexai
If you ask somebody who's in a cult about the cult you're going to get it described to you in a much more favourable light compared to if you asked somebody who sees the cult for what it is.

Shar is the Lady of Loss, patron of people who seek forgetfulness and obliviousness. Part of her thing is seeking out people who are broken or wishing to lose themselves, and seducing them with promises of belonging, purpose, and love. The most enticing kind of evil is the kind that tempts you with unconditional love. You become a microscopic cog in her catastrophic plan, designed and directed by her red right hand black onyx stone headpiece :P

Yeah, yeah, the Shar worshiper would say *you're* the one in the cult, lol.

Seriously though, I hear what you're saying, and a part of me agrees.

But it's also what I meant by cliched, as in it's sort of the obvious way to think about things, especially for those of us who already know a lot of Forgotten Realms lore. And maybe it's a good way to think for characters who have a high enough skill in Religion.

Yet there are people who don't have that knowledge, both players in real life and characters who don't have the appropriate skill level. One thing we keep saying in this thread is that the knowledge should be pounded in early, that those without the lore should have it spoon-fed to them double quick. Maybe that's the wrong approach. That's all I'm saying.

Maybe instead, these characters should get to know Shar the long way around, by first interacting with a follower and getting a more sympathetic view of her. Only as time passes and more lore is introduced, along with scenarios that begin to feel increasingly evil, does the character start to realize that Shar might be a little bit more dangerous than they initially supposed.

I think there's a benefit and strength to playing the game that way, and if that's what Larian is intending then I say, bravo.

Just my opinion.