Originally Posted by JandK
If the varied tones in this game creates a break in immersion, I can only imagine how surreal and painful real life must be, what with all the different flavors and attitudes, the ups, the downs, the clashes of colors and feelings, when you're at a funeral one moment and the next they have the gall to play a goofy comedy on the television screen. It must all seem downright phony, like the crappiest of crappy writing, am I right?

Sure, real life is varied and in the grand scheme of life, everything goes. But an example … I work on a college campus in real life. A place where, when I am there, I expect active debates, studying, quiet libraries, student filled coffee shops, labs churning out stressed out grads and papers…ya know…academic shite. If I went to work and all of the sudden the campus is filled with amusement park rides, fireworks, kids running around with balloons, stuffed animals lining the corridor, etc? Well…I would wonder what the hell was going on and how on earth I could take my scholarly pursuits seriously in such an environment.

That is the best comparison I can make.

Now is academia humorless? Hell no. There are hilarious people and silly stuff all the time. It is mot all serious professors and dour students and sacred texts. Ie, there are for sure tonal variations and random silliness. But it is not an amusement park, and kids screaming on roller coasters and clowns juggling fire are simply out of place.

Last edited by timebean; 24/10/21 07:47 PM.