Originally Posted by Innateagle
Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Like Mol, a sociopathic thiefling child who literally sends other kids on suicide missions just to steal stuff, she and her followers will grow up to be hardcore criminals and helping refugees means she will reach Baldur's Gates and will become part of the criminal underground there. Like Wyll, who wants to be a hero simply because of his own pride but will torture an innocent prisoner to fulfill his own selfish goals. Like gnome slaves in Grymforge who are actually terrorists who want to blow up Baldur's Gates to further their political agenda.

You can literally watch kids die in this game and you went with the weakest and most questionable examples possible. Not that i believe this game stops being campy even when it tries to be dark, but come on. Gale is ten times darker than Wyll, and the goblins are a hundred times creepier than Mol (0,01 x 100 = 1).

Originally Posted by Innateagle
Like Mol, a sociopathic thiefling child who literally sends other kids on suicide missions just to steal stuff, she and her followers will grow up to be hardcore criminals and helping refugees means she will reach Baldur's Gates and will become part of the criminal underground there. Like Wyll, who wants to be a hero simply because of his own pride but will torture an innocent prisoner to fulfill his own selfish goals. Like gnome slaves in Grymforge who are actually terrorists who want to blow up Baldur's Gates to further their political agenda.

You can literally watch kids die in this game and you went with the weakest and most questionable examples possible. Not that i believe this game stops being campy even when it tries to be dark, but come on. Gale is ten times darker than Wyll, and the goblins are a hundred times creepier than Mol (0,01 x 100 = 1).

Goblins are just goblins, they are evil, vile, but they just act according to the lore, according to their evil and vile customs and traditions. Mol on the other hand is a tiefling kid who manipulates and coerces other kids to become criminals. And not just orphans, Arabella has loving parents and Mol turned her into a thief and sent to steal the idol. She knew it was dangerous for Arabella, she knew that could cause troudbles for other tieflings, she didn't care. Mol is a classic manipualting sociopath, evil and narcissistic, and she is already creating her own gang by turning gullible kids into criminals. Also how is Gale more dark then Wyll?

This brings up a rather interesting issue here, when discussing "what is dark". What one person may consider "tame", another will find exceedingly offensive. People run on and on about how vulgar the last President of the US was, and yet, from my perspective, he was relatively tame, compared to some of the people that I've run with over the years. In Dragon Age 2, there's a story line where Hawke's mother is killed by a Necromancer, and reanimated. The BSN was flooded with people that were upset that Hawke was upset about that. Some of them acting as if they'd celebrate that in their own lives. So how far down the rabbit hole do they have to go to be "dark"? I find the basic premise to be pretty dark. Even with the plot armor going on, where we may not be on the same schedule others would be in our circumstance, the fact that a parasite is going to completely alter who and what I am is pretty dark.

Striking some kind of balance is going to be needed, because there are some really emotionally fragile people online, and in the world at large. There are people that sincerely believe that some profanity/nudity is oppressing them. There are people that believe that asking for a toggle to "fade to black" on sex scenes is unacceptable censorship too. So where do they strike that balance, because it's evident that nobody is going to be completely happy, no matter what. We're trying to assign objective values to a subjective topic, especially when some of what's being complained about can be skipped entirely, with 0 story consequence, such as talking to the squirrels. It's not vital to the story, and is added precisely because it will break up the seriousness of the overall situation. Even Alfira's song is about the loss of her teacher, to a pack of gnolls. It's a beautiful moment about a tragedy, from her perspective.