Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
BG3 dark undertones?
Like Mol, a sociopathic thiefling child who literally sends other kids on suicide missions just to steal stuff, she and her followers will grow up to be hardcore criminals and helping refugees means she will reach Baldur's Gates and will become part of the criminal underground there. Like Wyll, who wants to be a hero simply because of his own pride but will torture an innocent prisoner to fulfill his own selfish goals. Like gnome slaves in Grymforge who are actually terrorists who want to blow up Baldur's Gates to further their political agenda.

Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Like the Aunt May Rag? The car salesman Raphael? The whining jester vampire spawn? The dumb wizard companion that always states the obvious? The party of tadpoles? Or the skeleton puppy that conveniently ressurects all and travels with you through dungeons? I cannot think of a more unimmersive game in CRPG history. Oh wait, DOS2 was worse.

Ironic that's it coming from a person with jon irenicus avatar, a one-dimensional Bond-style evil scientist, who's only motivations are unlimited powah and revenge. At least Sarevok was presented in a way that made him look actually smart with his Baldur's Gates machinations and the way he manipulated the PC and people around him. Irenicus is supposed to be smart simply because he has evil labs to do his evil magical science, yet he has a personality of an edgy teenager.

You like the irony card, huh?

That is why I believe some people are tone deaf, which is the case for Larian' staff most likely. Tone goes so much beyond writing and only listening to DOS2 and Fallout 2 soundtracks you can tell they have completely different writing and tone styles. All these scenes in BG3 have no emotional undertone, simply because the scenes are poorly directed, infested with bad dialogue and the overall artistic direction is lacking. Even Arabella's outcome feel meaningless, specially when Kagha's writing is so artificial. I will not even comment on Wyll, since he is the most apathetic, generic NPC we have so far.

Irenicus is a brilliant iconic character, not because of his goals, but for his stellar voice acting and solid dialogues (plus his initial dungeon which provides plenty of background). David Warner elevated the character so much, his lines felt personal and layered. The spellhold for example is masterfully conceived, shows the range of DW's acting and I posted a video some pages back. Many characters across different medias are simple, but the delivery is the most important. And that is what makes the Rag, Raphael, Astarion, Gale, Kagha so unimpressive (and those are the "evil/neutral" characters). They are infested with Disney humor and even good voice actors cannot overcome bad art direction and writing.

It really surprises me someone believes BG3 has good writing for 2021. I guess it is a lost cause, when people see reality in opposite way.