Originally Posted by Topgoon
Just finished replaying BG2 EE, so this is pretty fresh in my mind. Conceptually, Irenicus is a pretty interesting character, but I do feel like BG2 actually failed to take advantage of that potential.

I do agree, I wished Bioware had chosen to bring his tragedy to the forefront throughout the whole narrative, but not many games were doing that at that time. But still they did flesh him very well. We see Irenicus at the end of his character arc, where is irreversibly gone to madness. There are plenty of good dialogues in-game, including Irenicus as the Spellhold coordinator. The dream sequence shows that Irenicus as powerful as he was, didn't wish to be a spectator of life and sheds insight for his thirsty for power. And I guess once he had the Bhaalspawn's soul that didn't help his involuntary violent bursts.

"You live you affect your world. This woman lives and has strength of a sort. She lost her parents to plague, her husband to war, but she persevered. Her farm has prospered, her name is respected and her children are fed and safe. She lived as she thought she should. And now she is dead. Her land will be divided, her children will move on, and she will be forgotten. She lived a good life, but she had no power; she was a slave to death.

Your actions affect so many others than yourself. You will come to realize how little choice you have. You will do what you must, become what you must or others will pay for your cowardice."

Originally Posted by Topgoon
Empire in Star Wars is basically generic evil, than the individual antagonists (Darth Vader) carries the nuisance motivations to drive the emotional part of the story.
Darth Vader did not have any nuisance until Episode 3, so I don't think it is a good example.

Last edited by IrenicusBG3; 01/11/21 12:32 AM.