Originally Posted by GM4Him
Am I missing something? Who's asking for a dissertation on Shar?

From what I'm seeing, all anyone's asking for on this thread is a simple dice roll and a brief explanation of who she is. At some point prior to Shadowheart's reveal, when you encounter something related to Shar for the first time, a Religion roll is made. If you succeed, you learn, "Shar is an evil goddess of darkness and loss. Her followers often torture and kill those who oppose them."

I think the Shadowheart first meet on the beach should go something like this:

You meet Shadowheart in armor similar to what she has now but without the black onyx stones (note: play Grymforge and note the Sharran armor you see there. Notice the giant onyx stones in the pauldrons and on many of their chests and abdomens and such).
You ask her who her god/goddess is, AS AN OPTION IF YOU DESIRE TO KNOW. If you ask, she lies to you and says, "My goddess is," just throwing a bogus one out there, "Melira Taralen."

Religion roll is made. If you fail, you don't know the goddess she mentions. If you succeed, you learn, "Melira Taralen is a minor elven goddess of bards and minstrels. She's a Chaotic Good goddess of knowledge, life and trickery."

Insight roll is made. If you fail, the matter drops. If you succeed, you have the OPTION to ask her if she's lying because you think she is. If you call her on it, she can either get hostile towards you and say she'll leave if you don't drop the matter, or whatever.

Then, the first time you encounter something with Shar or Selune, another Religion roll is made and you get the brief description I mentioned above about Shar and a similar brief description about Selune.

We're not talking huge, in depth, lengthy Wiki-posts with giant personality trait sections and histories and so forth. Just something basic and simple to let players know something about who these two goddess are and a very basic understanding of what people think of them.

...and if the player fails all of those rolls, and still comes here outraged at the choices? Because if you think that's not going to happen, you're fooling yourself. I've seen similar happen in TT sessions, where the player had read all of the books, and they figured there's no way their character could fail them. Lore to "evil Goddess" is provided in game. The dialog choices aren't offered in a vacuum, there's a full cutscene that plays out, and is ignored. I've seen that happen before too. My favorite example is swtor, on Ziost. The Sith Emperor devours all life on the planet. There's a cutscene that shows this happening in detail. Yet, on the surface of the planet, after the fact, players were complaining about Ziost being largely lifeless. The full explanation of how that happened was provided, but they hit their spacebar to get through the cutscene, and were left confused about why there wasn't a lot of life on the planet.