Originally Posted by Sozz
This might not be related, but how did you guys rationalize having Viconia in your party. We're not told much about Shar in that game except from Viconia herself, and while that game had little to do with Shar or Selune it is a similar dynamic to Shadowheart. Of course Vic was pretty different in BG:I to II

Also maybe the threads just gotten so long that the original point has already been dealt with but I thought that the issue was that currently the only way to get to the Shar reveal was through insight checks involving Shadowheart, when a valid way of doing it would be through a (currently absent) History or Religion check. But it seems the conversation now is more about how the game is rolling out it's world's exposition. With a bunch of straw-'new players' involved, a lot of the arguments about it seem to revolve around assumptions around what is and isn't common knowledge in the Baldur's Gate area about Shar and her followers trappings. We currently do get quite a bit of exposition around primarily the Dark Justiciar with seemly a great deal more to come from Moonrise Towers, considering the importance of the Weapon and it's interest to all parties, Shar included, I think it's reasonable to assume that a great deal of exposition will be given to us around her and Selune as the game progresses.

I guess what I'm saying is, complaining about how the exposition is rolled out isn't totally warranted. I would have liked a prologue for better insight into our character, but I think expecting a game to stop, bring everyone up to speed on hundreds of years of FR lore, when they could and should 'show' us instead is fine.

Also consider that we're still getting more scenes and dialogues added to the EA, some of this might be premature too.

Nah. See. That's where the misunderstanding has come in. The original poster is a new player to Forgotten Realms, and he/she was just saying that they were totally confused when Shadowheart revealed that she was a Sharran cleric. They didn't know how to respond because there was no basic background given at all as to who Shar was and why he/she should even care.

So the suggestion was that Larian should provide at least some basic knowledge of who Shar is so that new players who don't know FR lore aren't totally like, "Shar who?" when Shadowheart reveals to them that she's a cleric of Shar.

Some argued, "It's in the books. Read the books, Fool!"

But the reply was, "I'm not going to read all those dang books just to learn basic story plot information. Books are for lore junkies. They shouldn't house major plot points and such."

And it escalated from there into all sorts of crazy things.

The bottom line is, there are plenty of places along the way that Larian could throw in a sentence or two for new players to let them know who Shar is and why they should care. We're not asking for any expositions or huge cutscenes going over the history of Shar and Selune (though I think someone brought up that suggestion somewhere in the thread). Most are simply looking for a Religion check somewhere along the way, even if it's during the BIG REVEAL, and if you pass you, the player, get to learn stuff about Shar but if you fail you are in the dark; and your character dialogue options should reflect your character's success or fail roll. If they don't know Shar, they might say, "Yeah. And? Who's Shar anyway?" If they succeed, they might say, "You are a cleric of Shar? Witch!" or "Yeah, and? I could care less" or even, "I've known the whole time, Shadowheart. I could care less who you serve. You're one of us regardless." And then maybe even gain some relationship points for it.

Either way, the main point of the entire thread is literally that a new player wanted more information given to them by Larian through dialogue or something just to give them some idea who Shar is. That's it. That's all they, the OP, originally asked for. He/she didn't even ask for the dice roll thing.