Originally Posted by kanisatha
Not so. It doesn't matter if you're an illiterate peasant. When a Realms Shaking Event happens, such as the Spellplague or the Twilight War, where hundreds of thousands of people die and cities and even entire countries are destroyed, you hear about it and know about it. Furthermore, it is precisely events involving the gods that the peasants will especially know about, because they all live in fear and awe of the gods. And last but not least, we are not talking about people living in some location that is a very remote corner of the Realms. We are talking about Baldur's Gate and the Sword Coast. People know. *You" may not know. But people inside this game absolutely should know.

You seem to be conflating whether or not someone knows about a tragedy with whether or not decorative circles are immediately seen by everyone, literally everyone, as a sign of the devil.

Let's say you lived in the middle ages and eventually heard news that some great faraway land named China had blown up. Well, you'd probably hear a lot of things about it, some things with elements of the truth, other things stretched by fiction, fear, myth, and tall tales.

But that doesn't mean you suddenly know the secret handshake of a secret society.

And it doesn't mean that everyone for miles around thinks and knows exactly the same stuff and feels pretty much the exact same way about said stuff.

Basically, I keep hearing these one dimensional, uninsightful interpretations of how human beings and societies function. It sounds like a game setting I don't want to play in, with all the dynamic, subtlety, nuance, and life of a flat, dull rock. That's why I'm specifically providing the feedback I am, in an effort to say to Larian: "hey, some of us appreciate a more complicated and realistic setting, with human beings that aren't all carbon copies of one another who go frothing mad every time they see a piece of jewelry fashioned into a circle."