I am similar in terms of older gamer (50 yrs or so) played d&d mainly second and third edition - but I’ve put 280 hours into early access and on my 4th play through of patch six.

Whilst I agree with some of what you say I’m taking it for what it is under dark at lvl 4 & spectators I’ve killed two in this run they must be baby beholders as lvl 4 party would last 5 seconds normally..
Anyway Michael Bay or not this game is fantastic and the story will develop as it should it’s still early access and a good 12-18 months away from release in which time a lot can happen.

More Githyanki true but we are in the wilderness with a downed nautaloid ship makes sense gith would be in hot pursuit of their mortal enemy ..I can get with that…the start of a grand adventure & alot more interesting than 4 characters meet in a bar…lol but you are right was always the way

Tieflings in the modern game are common so are Dragonborn ? …as are druids, and a lot of other races/classes

And this story follows on from a city being dragged into avernus..I think ..so there is alot of scope for broader and more fantastical setting that perhaps would be the norm.

I’m enjoying the story - yes some of the traditionally higher level enemies are in early but they are weaker versions - I remember fighting small dragons in d&d in as low as level 4 ….dragonlance first module black dragon if my memory serves me correctly ..couple of other examples made things exciting..

It may also be in the final version that parts of what is early access areas may be level 5-6 in the end version with stronger versions of what we see now..

There are a number of magical items true but that’s the computer game aspect kicking in - can’t say I find any of the items overly powerful or unbalancing from a gameplay point of view. Larian have dialled things down a lot since early access began and I think they continue to listen to feedback

Shoving, surfaces …some will change some will not as it’s Larian game …I still think we are very lucky it’s them making this game if you look at some of the nonsense so called aaa studios are trotting out these days.

I was more of your view earlier on but as the game has evolved and improved and I’ve sunk alot more time into it I’m alot more accepting of the premise and the difference between table top d&d vs computer game d&d.

Last edited by Tarorn; 16/11/21 08:18 AM.