Originally Posted by Dez
Originally Posted by Imryll
The main reason I want to roll stats is not to increase my primary stats, but to avoid lowering secondary stats in a way that feels non-rp to me. I can accept that my hero has average intelligence--below average, not so much. I also seem to be unable to enjoy playing a character with below 10 strength--not because I want them to hit things harder, but because of carry weight and jumping distance. Feeling that I have more racial choice would also be great.

THIS.
I also don't like every character having the same obvious weaknesses for their class. All point buy spellcasters and Dex based characters have 8 Strength. <Yawn>. More variety gives more character for PC's. I still remember Kieren Jalucian, the Guildmaster of the Guild of Wizards in Greyhawk who had 18 Strength.

5e could also do a much better job at having both high Str AND high Dex be useful somehow so it wouldn't always be either Str or Dex, but never both. E.g. the strong elven melee warrior archetype doesn't benefit from 16 Dex because of how armor caps Dex at +2 or +0.

I feel like I'm being railroaded into having a 16 in main stat, and then always high Con, and either Str or Dex if it's a martial class.

Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
I looked up a few and i think you can see the Ability Scores in BG3 Wiki. At least of some of them.

This gave me pause. The ability scores of some NPCs are way over the top. Look up kahga or better, examine Gekh. Even if those are NPCs they should at least be somewhere near the possiblities the Races give. Having a lvl 5 Duergar with 18,18,16,14,14,12 or something like that would make him some kind of uber Dwarf.

Kagha is nearly the same.

While i do not think the battles too hard it still feels like an unfair advantage. I downloaded some mods to go that way and the battles got ridicoulously easy. I always hated having a games difficulty based sorely on enemy strenght. Nothing tactical about that.

I really despise this design of giving NPC's ridiculously high stats. The Githyanki Gish also has like 16, 17, 14, 18, 16, 14.

If they want to make encounters tougher they can a) add more enemies, b) raise enemy levels or c) give them some other situational advantage. What they don't have to do is make PC stats feel like a commoner compared to some random nameless cannon fodder NPC.

Also, it makes all their Saving Throws super high and invalidates spells that target saves. All that does is further encourage the OP homebrew cheese of pushing everyone down a cliff or cheesing them with broken stealth instead.

Last edited by 1varangian; 19/11/21 01:53 PM.