Originally Posted by JandK
Because it's a thread about sharing excitement about which character you want to play. Not a thread about spreading negativity.

It's like: "Hey kids, which Disney ride are you most excited to ride!"
And someone responds: "Disney sucks!"
But what if the franchise is based on building your own Warhammer 40k character and the Disney characters available really do suck? Is one then supposed to pretend that they're super good, because otherwise one is being negative?

I'm posting my opinion, that's all. I think:

1. That I'm looking forward to playing the Origin characters,
2. That playing the Origin characters will be more fun than a custom character because the writers can cater to known characters, and that's just the inescapable nature of the beast,

-and-

3. That I don't personally need to play a chosen one character who's slightly better than my companions.

Nothing about this is "in your face." Unless you consider confident and well-reasoned disagreement with an established group of posters here to be "in your face."
You do come off with "an attitude", though. I don't know if it is intentional or not, but there's a certain feeling that some of us simply being critical of Larian is rubbing you the wrong way. Also, you're not just posting your opinion, you're posting your hope, and your hope is literally that all of us who want to make our own characters get to have a worse experience.

As for your point 3, customized characters are not simply about "being better" but about being the logical center of a story. The player is controlling the party so it stands to reason that the player character is the party leader. But why is that the case? Why is Mystra's boy toy, a weirdo vampire spawn that isn't following vampire spawn rules, a chosen of Mystra, a hyper-racist Gith, and a local folk hero all bending the knee to Tav the total nobody? Why would any of them bend the knee to any of the other origin characters, for that matter?

Lastly, your arguments aren't all that well-reasoned, in my opinion. Arguing that D&D isn't about rolling your own character and that going pregen is totally a common thing does not appear to be sufficiently supported. My observation is that a dramatic majority of people have a different experience of what D&D is. Look around the internet too. There's plenty of advice for how to make your character but I don't seem to find places that exist to provide lots and lots of cool pregen characters that people can just use cookie cutter style for their campaigns. Build guides, sure, but full characters? Not so much. However, a lot of people are happy to talk endlessly about their own characters that they created and had fun with. Why do you think this is so? And isn't it reasonable to want some of that feeling in a computerised D&D experience?

Last edited by ArvGuy; 24/11/21 01:05 PM.