Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Seriously, IIRC even Larian has alluded to in the past the choice to do a Baldur's Gate sequel instead of a standalone/new series of D&D games had to do with the name recognition. People will line up for 'Baldur's Gate III' based on the reputation and name recognition of the franchise even if they never played another game in the series, and they'll do it in a way they would never do for "Forgotten Realms: Adventures in Cormyr" or whatever. Hell, a lot of the decisions around this game are definitely around leveraging recognition-the return to Baldur's Gate itself, when only the first game featured that city, the inclusion of Minsc. The MTG tie-in...It is undeniable that nostalgia/name recognition is a huge part of the attraction to the game and one Larian is aware of.

And it works...hell-I myself don't really like 5e either as a setting or as a game system, but here I am just the same at the promise of even a whiff of the nostalgia I have for the old games and that pre-spellplague Forgotten Realms setting. Maybe it's all just nostalgia bait and it's naive to expect it to deliver, but If the legacy of the BG franchise is what Larian is going to hang their hat on, then I think it's entirely fair to judge them on how well they deliver on that aspect.

I expect Larian to deliver a superb game as always-I have enjoyed every one of their games I have played to date-but will it be a worthy heir to the Infinity engine games? IDK about that.

^ Jump to 3:30.

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke
... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also.

I am really not interested in a new(er) studio trying to push their identity through a beloved established series. Sadly, this only confirms my initial suspicions of BG3. The game could still be decent on its own merits, sure, but it won't be Baldur's Gate.

Nice, "When you started your nerd life" "Answer "When I was born"

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 09/02/22 07:15 AM.