Originally Posted by mrfuji3
This is still relying on players to provide the limitations of the game that the designers should have.

You wanting the designers to limit the game in a particular way doesn't mean the designers should limit the game in that particular way. Do you see how those are two different things?

In essence, I'm saying be the limitation that you want to see in the world.

Which we as players can't really do, because we don't know how many encounters Larian intended for us to fight before resting. 1? 2? 5?

Who cares? Go as long as you can. Walk to your campsite instead of teleporting. Eat only apples.

I mean, seriously, if Larian came out and said that you should be able to handle four encounters between every rest, there'd be people arguing that four should be five or six or three or ten... and other people arguing that it depended on the type of encounter. You just reach a point where the whole thing is ridiculous.

You know what I don't want? To feel like I'm being railroaded. I only get enough supplies to rest every four encounters. That tells me I'm not playing in an open world. I'm playing on a railroad and being forced down a childlike linear path. I have no interest in that.

Not to mention all the game balance issues created by Larian's design philosophy to not implement long rest restrictions, which means they're likely not balancing encounters so that the players face ~3-6 per long rest.

What? You just said ... because they don't restrict long rests ... then they're not balancing encounters per long rest.

Meaning what? That every long rest isn't balanced precisely between x number of encounters? Meaning sometimes you might need a long rest after one encounter and other times you might make it seven encounters before needing a long rest?

What exactly is wrong with that? I mean, if you actually think about it, what is wrong with that? You'd prefer an arbitrary same number of encounters then long rest every time? How does that make sense and seem organic at the same time. Some encounters are tougher than other encounters, and that's the way it should be.

These issues are unavoidable even if I do set restraints on myself - if we're expected to fight 1 or 2 encounters between long rests, then either playing as a martial character or warlock feels much shittier compared to the long-rest caster classes, or I have a much more punishing gameplay experience than intended.

Um. Different classes have different strengths and weaknesses. This is not a bad thing.

All I can say is that we definitely disagree. The vision of the game you present sounds stilted and boring and predictable to me.