Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
I HATE these items. It feels so un-D&D, action/MMO RPG like. Reminds me of DOS2 pointless random magic items that are everywhere.
Nothing creative,just stats/effect. Play 1 hour <NEXT SET>, 1hour <NEXT SET....>

PLEASE MAKE INTERESTING MAGIC ITEMS THAT WILL LAST AND BE USEFUL THROUGHOUT THE ADVENTURE! That have a HISTORY, that feel RARE, were you need to THINK...Hmmm should i use this super interesting helmet of xxx or this shield of xxx...

Kinda agree on this one, rather have a really really long quest for a good item that has a story connected to the quest and that thus feels very rewarding to obtain (e.g. the flail you can make in the BG2 fighter stronghold quest) rather than having to constantly change equipment to suit enemies or situational effects of items. Said differently, I want to adventure and quest in order to find Excalibur , and if I find it I want it to be the awesome weapon it is, I don't want to find these mediocre items infused with all those very situational conditional effects. Reading these item abilities and effects seems like reading some programmed syntax (if this then this, if that then that, etc). This is not how items work in real life or in fantastic worlds, except if it makes sense story wise (e.g. Frodo's sword lighting up for danger, makes sense. Frodo's sword lighting up for danger if he is below 50%hp, and charging him with electricity every time he lands a jump, is just arbitrary, gamey and incoherent world design).

Not that the games are comparable on other aspects, but I think Larian should take note of how Ubisoft changed the itemisation from AC Odyssey (constant leveling up of weapons/armor making them obsolete very fast and requiring a lot of time spent in menus) vs the new approach in AC Valhalla (only few weapons that can only be upgraded limited time, making players stick more to a certain weapons and upgrades to it feeling more like a real investment forcing you to also ask yourself will I use this, will I stick to this playstyle).

Anyway, i guess personally I'm at very opposite sides of many of these 'modern' game design decisions of Larian, and if that's what earns them their monies, they probably won't change much, I would simply love to see some of these 'gamey' conditionality, pseudo-randomness, and extremely specific situational utility be somehow countered or made more bearable by AT LEAST putting the story first and ensuring that if we find these kind of things, that they are there for a reason and not simply to provide players with endless combo's for meta-gaming. Quality over quantity or something I guess.