One thing that really got annoying and turned me off of DOS2 was how the “weapon and armor sets” were implemented. You would go through a bunch of side quests to assemble really cool weapon and armor sets that went together for a character. OK, all good so far. BUT, as soon as you finished the set, it was obsolete. To turn it into a DnD and BG3 equivalent example - you go through all the effort to assemble this great +1 set of weapons and armor with “Sparky” effects. As soon as you do, the next encounter introduces the first of the +2 set with the “Burny or whatever” effects. Now this really cool “+1 Sparky” set that I worked hard for and was excited about is instantly old news and I have to start all over again. Rinse and repeat with the next set. Therefore, none of the sets really felt special or epic because they were continually superseded. That was really annoying in DOS2 and I am afraid that we might be seeing the same trend start to show up in BG3.

Note that I am not necessarily opposed to the new weapon sets or new ideas, but I hope that Larian doesn’t go crazy with these “gimmicky” things and turn it into the ever repeating cycle that happened in DOS2.