Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
What IF ... Paleoak would be empowered version of Nature's Snare?

Just imagine ... you help Kagha and everything ... now:
- If you have Nature's Snare on you, Kagha asks for it ... and turn it into Paleoak (note this version would have all effects of both Paleoak and Nature's Snare ... meaning: AoE snare spellcast, imune to roots, and chance to root your enemy when attacking)
- If you never looted Nature's Snare, Kagha asks some of Druids to fetch it ... wich would also explain why Findal was there in the tunel, he has ben send for Nature's Snare even first time.
- If you sold it somewhere in the grove, Kagha would ask for the staff ...
- If you sold it outside the grove ... well, your loss pal. laugh (Nah, just kidding ... they could aswell make new one.)

Anyway it would work in my opinion MUCH better than Kagha just making the staff out of thin air. :-/

Okay, I think this idea is incredibly cool actually. I think the idea of getting story-based upgrades to items as rewards for quests would be plain awesome. I'm not sure if it would really work for BG3 because the typical system for crpgs is that you sell whatever items you don't need, so justifying getting back an item you sold or dropped so it can be upgraded could potentially strain credulity. But if this or any other game could pull that off, I would be very excited about it. That's a great way to make items feel special.

This is a tangent now, but I actually think that a game with limited weapons that you can't sell, which recieve story-relevant upgrades that are reflected as you advance would be really cool and make weapons feel special. In Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I was always excited to level up the spear of Leonidas and see it change and evolve. And I loved that weapons took on different appearances in Assassin's Creed Valhalla as you upgraded them as well.

I think selling the item should be possible because otherwise you will have people who don't care for an item even upgraded. I hate having items stuck in my inventory forever. That isn't to say I think it's a bad idea, just that those who sell the quest item should be tasked with recovering it if they wish to upgrade it. Either the merchant resells the item back to you at the price it was bought, or the player is given a small quest with a small exp reward for recovering the item needing upgrade, which will compensate them to a small degree for the extra monetary loss. Hell, the quest giver could even direct you to a nearby merchant who will sell the item even if it isn't the one you sold it to. Merchants do buy and sell amongst themselves after all.