Two things:

1. Lack of D&D 5e rules makes the game more volatile. Because of all the homebrew, you either learn the gimmicks and defeat enemies easily or you get pounded by the enemies and have to save scum until you figure out what the gimmicks are.

2. Lack of D&D 5e monster/enemy stats. Phase spiders are melee assassins, not teleporting poison spitters. They should suddenly appear and attack. Next round, they attack and disappear. Next round, appear and attack. Once you know you're facing them, common tactic is squishy mages in the middle and tanks outside. Ready action is also vital when fighting them, but there is no ready action in BG3 yet. So, the whole combat with phase spiders goes completely against D&D.

How to beat phase spiders easy in BG3?

When they're on webs, shoot them out from under them. They take fall damage, and the Matriarch takes a lot of it when she falls. Stealth is also your best friend. Have Astarion sit in shadows and snipe enemies and Hide. Wash rinse and repeat. Before triggering the fight snipe the eggs. Also spread out. The poison spit hurts multiple characters at the same time if clumped together. Drink potions as Bonus action and/or have cleric use healing word to keep health up. Focus on minions first. Facing mama when she's pissed and having other spiders still around can be more than enough to wipe you in a single round.

I don't have many problems with any fights in the game now that I know the gimmicks. Only if I refuse to use them can the fights be challenging... Unless I get unlucky with initiative, of course. Had to reload the Gith fight a number of times because of bad initiative. One round, they kill 2 or 3 characters before I can even go once. THAT'S the kind of volatility I'm talking about. You shouldn't have an encounter where you can die before you can even go once simply because of bad initiative rolls. That's frustrating and it needs to be fixed. I want fights to be hard, yes, but not so much so that I have to save scum or apply weird gimmicks. I want solid strategy.

Last edited by GM4Him; 29/03/22 06:03 AM.