While I don't hold the opinion quite so...vehemently, I do generally agree with Ragnarok on this point. I think the idea of giving companions in camp stuff they can do isn't a bad idea, and if Larian has an idea for implementing that, I'd be fine seeing how that goes, but I don't think that's a thing which needs to be addressed at all. It's just one of those ways players need to suspend their disbelief, and ultimately I've never considered it an important issue at all. I think drawing attention to it in the game with a half-formed or shallow system could strain credulity morethan not bringingit up at all.

Though on the subject, I think of the games I've played, Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition handled the party limit issue the best froma storytelling perspective. With 2, all your companions were living in the city with you. Bringing them along was the equivalent of asking your friends to help you run errands. high-risk errands at times, but still. It made perfect sense that you would only bring a few companions at a time because they still have lives that they're living when they're not with you. In Inquisition, most of your companions also had other jobs of some description that they would be doing around Skyhold. Like Varric managing his network of contacts, Vivienne organizing the mages, Iron Bull coordinating his mercenaries and Qunari contacts, etc. Both games gave you a logical reason not to bring along everyone but also they did not actively draw attention to the fact, so they never made you think too hard and risk making you poke holes in the logic.