Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
New interview with Swen. Nothing major but he talks about Shadowheart’s artifact and the challenge of having choices in the game.
Is that meant to put the game in a positive light? Commitment is admirable, but it sounds to me like they are putting a lot of resourced to make up for a bad decision, rather then making impressive reactivity. Many games gate their progress unless specific requirements are meant - if PC needs to get the box, then so be it, there is no need to overthink/overproduce it. Giving a story critical item to a companion, does sound like a very shortsighted idea - single character runs (which Larian itself supported in D:OS2) come to mind as an immediate conflict.

Edit: Don’t want to unnecessary criticise Sven and Co. - some of my favourite developers made really bad calls in a hindsight. “To err is human” and all. Just expressing my confusion to see that content before release - the content of the video gives me GDC post-mortem vibe of “we will tell you of bad, expensive mistakes we made, so you can learn from it”, but the vibe seems… celebratory? Yay for us for creating a problem and sinking resources into it. frown
This was my reaction too. So much resources spent on a screw-up? Why? Why not just remove the box from SH, place it in a very prominent place, and give players a strong "vibe" that they need to take the box. I don't think there is a DM alive anywhere who would go to this length to give players thousands of permutations for an event. They would just tell the player: "You need to take this f___ing box!!"

Imagine all the other things about this game that all those person-hours of work could have been applied to?!