Regardless, my characters should not push taking a test after only traveling from camp and maybe 5 minutes of adventure, and that was why the map was even brought up. Ragnarok was trying to argue that the map is abstract and that although you as a player may only traverse the map for about 5 minutes, your characters are spending hours upon hours traveling. So, it isn't 5 minutes of adventure and 24 hours of resting. It's meant to be hours of walking and exploring. Then you rest for about eight hours and continue. That is what Ragnarok is trying to suggest, and that is what I'm trying to say is all in his/her head. There is NO way the map is designed to indicate that you are traveling from hours between any 2 points on the map unless there is a clear transition - such as when you actually go into the Underdark. With the transition cutscenes either when you Featherfall or descend via ladder, it is implied that you are traveling for some time.

Though, I would like to point out that Featherfall's duration is only 1 minute and you fall at a rate of 10 feet per second. So, this implies that jumping from the Whispering Depths down into the Underdark and landing near the Selunite Outpost is only 600 feet at most. That is HARDLY hours of travel down into the Underdark.

So even THAT implies that you are literally moving foot for foot/ meter for meter.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing that indicates that the map is abstract at all except for the fact that it makes no sense - as mentioned earlier - that the grove is not discovered, that Aradin and company can jog 5 minutes to the goblin camp, but they were gone for over a month, that Moonhaven is too small, the bog and forest are too small, the harpies are too close to the grove, etc. etc. etc.

In short, the map makes no sense.

But again, this is not a post about the map and its inconsistencies. This is about resting, and once again I will say that regardless of whether the map is abstract or literal, it makes no sense to spend a few hours just walking and exploring and then having your characters say, "That's it. I need to rest." Again, the point is that the game promotes long rest a LOT, but short rest is limited to only 2 per day and is really nothing more than a quick kinda sorta heal/restore button that is only there for convenience and has no real other benefit in the game because long rest has no real limitations.

Last edited by GM4Him; 10/06/22 12:48 PM.