Originally Posted by etonbears
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by Ruswarr
Don't know if it's the best thread to ask... but what's the main appeal/features of Bards in D&D?

I second this question.

I've always felt weird about the bard. While everyone else is fighting, they're singing?

I used to like bards in the earlier versions of D&D ( they were not in the original game ). Mainly they are Jack-of-all-trades. Can fight a bit, can cast a bit, and have versatile skills.

There is a mod that adds the 5e bard to EA. It seems to play as a mix of caster and skill monkey ( particularly with college of lore ), but has some martial capacity.

Traditional bard song has disappeared. Now you have can "inspire" a single creature as a bonus action, improve short rests by singing the party a cheery song and buff saves for fear and charm within 30 feet as an action. The save buff is as close to the old bard-song concept as it gets.

Certainly makes a good face-character in single-player, with the focus on skills and high charisma, and would be an easy choice in a party of 6; but maybe not with only 4?

dnd5e feels like a simplified (and nerfed version of earlier dnd for me). maybe it's more suitable for pnp idk. probably seeing myself going back to pathfinder after i'm done with bg3.