Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Uuuh...ok then. Typical WOTC. General audience PR shit.

Moving along.

Ona more interesting note, while editing some stuff in my BG2 folder, I found some great old BG2 PR art/concepts!
Sharing here since its probably more interesting to us than PAX. Also kind of shows what Baldur's Gate is all about.
So freakin late 90s, I love it.

BG2 Promo art Paintings:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Concept Art locations:

Creature concept art (check out that mindflayer!) :

Items concept :

God the first paintings are giving me some serious nostalgia. Wish I was in elementary school again obsessing over MtG, I started playing at the time of Tempest but when I came across some of the older edition's cards in my local shop I always remember that feeling of wonder, as if by finding a stupid common with a nice painting and flavor text I found an entrance in an even more hidden fantastical world. Sorry for going off-topic, but is it just me or has fantasy in general evolved from medieval setting with a bit of exotic and magical elements to settings where everything is magical, heroic, and over the top god-like. My personal conviction is that this actually explains the successes of Game of Thrones (the books) as GRR Martin (write that fucking book before you die, you teasing bitch) chose to do away with all the fairy tale, conan the big magic wielder bullshit and wrote more of a classic, pseudo-historic epic tragedy. Also in Lord of the Rings, the magic is usually either well explained in world and not too outlandish (everyone knows dragons spew fire and that wizards use staffs for cool stuff). The big boogie man in these is probably Harry Potter, never read the books but I am forced to watch the movies multiple times a year at home (GF is obsessed), where magic is much more central and - in my eyes - a lot less credibly tied into the world building. Like, how does it even work at Hogwarts in-universe ? Can the wizzards in HP simply make up crappy pseudo-Latin phrases to invent new spells or is there a supposedly limited amount of phrases to be used ? I very very much prefer the approach of Tolkien and GRR martin where magic is mystical and mysterious by definition, kinda more effective for me in how it tickles my fantasy about the unknown and archaic religion or ritual. Harry Potter on the other hand simply gives me the feeling that it's a motivational book for kids having to study Latin vocabulary: you see kid, this is not boring Language , this is magic. * Sighs and starts reciting hic haec hoc hī hae haec