Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'm not sure how it would look like if let's say 4 archers were attacking Gale at the ""same time"" (Swarm AI) when he could trigger Shield.
It would really disrupt the new system... or at least its purpose and its appeal.

No interruption is absolutely not possible imo with this new and very fast AI.
I'm just going to say this actually isn't going to be a problem in regards to Shield, because the AC increase that Shield grants persists until the start of your next turn. So if the swarm AI throws four arrows at Gale, he just needs to activate Shield at the very beginning and it will count against all four attacks.

More targeted defensive reactions like Protection fighting style and Hellish Rebuke could have issues, though.

Originally Posted by gaymer
No, they aren't but common sense is a thing. If Swarm AI exists for multiple enemies to go at once, how can you have pop-ups that go out to a Bard for instance to react to 5 different enemies that are going in rapid succession.

What would the point of Swarm AI even be created for if the game is going to be eventually changed to pause after every attack for player input?

This is where reasoning comes into play. Larian has ZERO intention of delivering what people are asking for, and this is something I want as well.

However, we have to transition to a practical solution. And that is why I said we should just be able to have access to the characters when it isn't our turn and be able to only use the Reactions then.

The game is being shopped for playtesting for the full game and Swen said they are moving to polishing the game and working toward official release. What good does it do to still sit and theorycraft about Solasta Reactions when it's clear it's beyond Larian's capabilities with what they built.

What we have could be improved upon marginally if you could change Reactions and use them while you're waiting for others. This way, you could at least have LIMITED control over something like Hellish Rebuke, etc.

I actually did make a thread looking for suggestions on how they could rework specific reactions to fit into the current framework that BG3 uses. It kind of just went towards everyone asking for proper reactions again instead.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=100987&Number=818926#Post818926

The way Cutting Words works seems to be a big hint on how many of the remaining targeted defensive reactions might end up working as well. For example, I wouldn't be too surprised if Counterspell ends up being a pre-cast targeted silence/mute at the end of the day.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 25/07/22 06:27 PM.