Originally Posted by 1varangian
What I'm picking up from fishing funny scenes from the old games is that pixelated isometric presentation, where characters are tiny and voice acting is much more limited, is much for forgiving for silly things.

When the silly is rendered in your face in photorealistic ultra HD 3D, and everything is 100% voice acted, you see and hear every nuance, every detail. Nothing is left for your imagination to tone up or down. There are no blanks to fill.

In conclusion, BG3 and modern games in general should be much more careful and tasteful in their presentation compared to games from 20+ years ago.

I agree that BG3 probably couldn’t effectively ascend the heights of silliness sometimes reached by the original games for the reasons you give. It’s going to have to find its own balance and I’m sure there are still many improvements to make.

But I’d be sad if taste triumphed to the extent that the game became one note. For me, one of the things I loved about the original games was the way they mixed horror, dark themes, broad and sometimes questionable comedy, fond parody of fantasy archetypes and downright absurdity. Of course it meant that they could be a bit muddled and hit and miss, though some people’s misses might be others’ hits. But there was enough there that there was something for everyone and selective amnesia or ignoring certain companions went a long way to making it possible to experience the games in the way we wished. BG3 can’t realistically do this in the exact same way because of the factors you identify, and I agree it needs to be more professional and less slapdash given the evolution of gaming over the last decades, but personally I’d rather it still took risks with tone and retained the elements of absurdity and humour even though I can guarantee that means there’ll also be other elements I find irritating and unbelievable. For me, that’s more Baldur’s Gate than a straightforward dark fantasy.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"