Perhaps I am simply addled in some way, but I still fail to see where people managed to spot "well-written companions" in the Pathfinder games. Granted, I haven't played WotR (and probably never will, all things considered), but with Kingmaker I only really found Harrim and Jubilost in any way interesting and entertaining to interact with - although I recognize the latter as a rather tryhard and very on-the-nose "abrasive nerd" stereotype, but it helps that I find that particular flavour of a butthole personality appealing.

As for the rest...

- Amiri's backstory is as simple as "women can be warriors too, raaarrrrgh!", which is perfectly cool in concept, but both she and the whole Kellid cast of characters constantly jump between being very well-spoken and relatively eloquent and barely stringing two words together. The inconsistency was really bothering me. Her plot amounts to her being a knob, realizing it, and still largely remaining one.

- Valerie... urgh. That 9 Intelligence really is on display throughout her story and with her character in general, and the moral of "you are wrong if you don't want to recognize yourself as beautiful (can't say I found her to be, myself, although the aforementioned 9 Int may have played a part) and don't actually have a core like you think you do" is kind of all over the place? The new Shelyn temple subplot never went anywhere either, what with it being built in the Hedonism Central that is Pitax.

- Given how Linzi is effectively a stand-in for the writers, I suppose my distaste for her has something to do with me really disliking Owlcat's writing in general. Couldn't really give a crap about the whole bullying thing in her quest, either. My biggest frustration with her, though, is how they just kill her off in the penultimate act and leave you without a freaking bard in a game with overtuned skill checks. Thanks, Owlcat.

- Ekundayo just... exists? He has little to no personality and his questline just concludes barely one half through the game, and again, forces a "grieving man who lost his wife and kid must socialize and date, or else!" mentality on the player and the player character. The nuance-less binarity of his final outcome is really jarring, too. "No, you shouldn't hunt down the giants who threaten your lands right now, it's gonna send him down the vengeance spiral...!" It's not about revenge at this point, there are giants, goddammit, and they should probably be killed, no?

- Tristian is so sweet (unbearably so, like a cup of tea that's more sugar than tea) it's obvious he's got something wrong with him from the very start. From what I can tell, Owlcat really like that trope and made several more similar characters for WotR. As for his whole betrayal moment, I forgave him in character and because I needed a cleric in the party, but, honestly, he doesn't really warrant forgiveness or pity. Neither does Nyrissa. They really failed to make the two characters whom you can pat on the head and wipe the tears of and say "It's fine, I am not mad" to actually being redeemable. Maybe I just don't get being Neutral Good, a.k.a., Clinically Idiotically Bleeding-Hearted. Having a bleeding heart is bad for circulation.

- Kanerah/Kalikke were neat enough and I actually liked them both (could have something to do with them being added later down the line), but since I didn't do their quest past the appearance of their devil progenitor, refusing to go meet him, I didn't see where it goes and they just died on me in the HatEoT. Kingmaker really likes to give you something that looks like a choice but any option except going with it leaves you without content, XP, and a resolution.

- Can't really say much about either Jaethal or Nok-Nok because the former I didn't have with me in my good-aligned party (her voice acting leaves much to be desired, though, and her backstory doesn't really paint her as particularly enjoyable, even for a villain) and the latter my LG paladin protagonist killed. No, slaying goblins and trolls who are a direct threat to your land, even if they are "friendly" in the moment as the game claims, isn't CE, Owlcat. It's Lawful Neutral at worst. You could at least make a separate dialogue option with a less murder-hoboey line.

And regarding them being a part of the world - it'd help (at least me, personally) if the setting wasn't FR taken to the extreme without seatbelts with bits and pieces of the other earlier D&D settings thrown in (a pinch of Ravenloft here, a bit of Eberron there). I enjoy wackier worlds and concepts, but Pathfinder's aesthetic and ideas never really clicked with me. What they didn't just copy-paste with minor alterations they either copied and perverted (poor gnomes) or made something REALLY unappealing out of - by the end of Kingmaker I wanted all the fey Eldest to just die or go away and never return. When the motivation of your antagonists is "hehe, I am so random and unpredictable and immortal and I do things just for lulz!" it really kills any sense of purpose of your actions. You are not destroying/delaying a threat that has clear motivations and a background, you are dealing with a 3-year-old throwing a destructive tantrum.

Phew, been a while since the last big one. Glad this thread is back alive.