I think people are holding the ability score system too close to heart. Once upon a time it represented a mostly static part of the character, but with the release of 3.0 that undamentally changed. ASIs became a common part of your progression.

Ability Scores also stopped making sense with respects to the lore established in earlier editions when we had non-linear scaling. I'd hardly consider 20 the peak of hunan performance when all it does is make you a flat 25% better at doing task X, like attacking with a weapon or remembering something.

As of the last 22 years or so, Ability Scores in dnd are just a game mechanic for stat progression. Needlessly limiting certain races in certain classes was annoying back in 2e and we don’t need it now. Biological traits can and should be represented as abilities like the orcs' Powerful Build, not a limitation of what classes you’re allowed to start with a good stat set for.

If you want to make all your elves have a +2 dex, the game lets you either by choosing a +dex background or making / modifying one. You haven't lost anything for your character. You’re just trying to dictate that the base rules for everyones characters have to follow your preferences.

Everytime a topic like this comes up, I think people should ask themselves a couple of questions.
1) Did I lose the ability to make the character I want?
2) Should my preferences have to affect everyones games by being in the base rules?

And bonus question:
3) Does my obsession with having humanoid races (usually heavily inspired by real world people) follow exact physical and mental attribute say anything about my own biases?

Quick cheat sheet for most RPGs:
1) No, you can still make your elf rogue or orc barbarian.
2) No, don’t be so selfish.
3) Seems likely.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?