Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Originally Posted by Sigi98
You cannot equalize being marginalized, and being made aware of other people being marginalized, as being somehow equally uncomforable and harmful. It is the entitlement of thinking that how other people live their lifes not only affects your life, but because you are affected by it you somehow get a say in what is allowed.

But in the case I've mentioned it is clear as day that the group that gets cancelled for their views is marginalized. What you say is the entitlement of thinking that a marginalized group is not the same as a marginalized group. Double standards, imo. Or am I wrong?

The thing is if you break it down, you have one group that wants their existence to be acknowledged and to live without having their very existence challenged, and you have another group that wants to deny the existence of those people. If the latter get their way, then they lose far more. Because its not just a matter of individual people. It extends to people who make policies and decisions about the lives of those marginalised people. Its like the climate change issue. The people who don't believe aren't equal to the ones who do.

The problem with that analogy is, that it is only valid if you are already of the opinion that their identity is valid. Right wing people see it more like you see schizophrenic people, where one may indeed be conviced of their delusions, but where it is not necessarily beneficial to the individual to affirm that identity.
I am not necessarily trying to provoke you here, but I think the asymmetry argument fails for that reason.

I don't care about adding more little options, like choosing pronouns etc, that is just a few lines of code, and obviously I appreciate more hairstyles, but rewriting conversations so that you can properly distinguish between s*x and gender of a character seems like a lot of work, that not that many players will benefit from. Sure, representation is nice, when it does not come at a cost. When you do not have a lot of development time and a lot still to do however...

For the same reason, I don't think it is problematic that you can not play a disabled character in the game etc
Even though a mounted fighter with a wheelchair instead of a warhorse sounds fun