Originally Posted by GM4Him
I'm going to put it like this:

I'm a Christian. Most know that, but in case you didn't, there you go.

Growing up, there was TONS of entertainment I could enjoy that didn't include sex and vulgarity and tons of gore. As the years have progressed, a schism has occurred. Either entertainment is lame and low quality and has no sex or vulgarity, or it has good story and is well done but I have to endure sex and vulgarity and gore. It is hard to find anything that I don't have to compromise on. Heck. Even kid shows and movies and games are riddled with adult content nowadays. It's VERY frustrating trying to find anything that I can enjoy - a good, just fun, adventure and drama.

BG1 and 2 and most RPGs back then we're games everyone could play without having to worry about potentially seeing such things. So, it is not a huge leap to expect that people might want the same thing for BG3 - at least the option to have a good, fun adventure that isn't sucky, cringey and lame and that doesn't have explicit sex and vulgarity.

That said, I don't necessarily expect them to change things. However, it's a hope that I and obviously others have that we might be able to FULLY enjoy BG3 without such content - enjoying the ability to romance without full on naked characters having sex on screen and the vile language of the duergar. To at least have the option would be SO nice and would increase my respect for Larian.

I'm going to put it like this:

I'm an atheist. Most know that, but in case you didn't, there you go.

I think people misremember past content based on anecdotal evidence. If anything children's entertainment has become much more sanitized, less thoughtful, and more frenetic**. Ren and Stimpy, and Scooby Doo were some OG stuff that dealt with adult subject matter and super sketchy people. Most of the more modern cartoons deal in innuendo that is aimed at adults but will fly right over kids heads but they draw from a "safe" list of well tested tropes that define all the characters traits. Also really well made films are about Art, which can be sometimes brutal or vulgar as it imitates life - which is also brutal and vulgar. When Art is built around ideologies of any kind, or censorship of any kind it fails. Human beings act in all kinds of disappointing ways, and frankly I think its better to make kids aware of that early, rather than late. Our job is to prepare them for the world, not shelter them from its harsh truths and thrust them unprepared into a world that will devour them.

BG1 and Bg2 dealt with all kinds of adult content. There was a literal whorehouse in Bg2 - The Pleasure Tent - and the scantily clad girls had all kinds of interesting things to say. There were adult situations aplenty - such as torture and sexual assault.

That said, I expect Larian will fine tune things as time goes on, and they do take into account player feedback. I find it difficult to fathom why people get so worked up about things that don't materially effect them. When I say that I mean - "imagien you had to walk into a court of law and explain how X harmed you - would you have a case or be laughed at?"

**I am only counting children's cartoons, not adult cartoons like Family Guy and South Park. If your kids are watching stuff like that - that's on you bro - they don't air that stuff on Sunday mornings for a reason.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 30/12/22 05:53 PM.

Blackheifer