Originally Posted by GM4Him
And this is what I've seen over and over and over again. When the people as a whole care about one another as a society and work together to try to help one another avoid doing things that are destructive, and when they have a moral standard and work to uphold it, the society flourishes. When people turn blind eyes to other people's problems and say, "Well. Not my problem. Just because YOU have that issue doesn't mean I have to stop doing what I'm doing," or "that's not my problem. That's a problem for the authorities," or "Who cares? I say 'Anything goes. Live and let live,'" societies start to degenerate and fall apart. It only takes a few generations before people are trashing one another, disrespectful, nasty, and overall unpleasant to talk to, live with, etc. It happens over and over and over again.

Rome flourished. Yep. It sure did. For hundreds of years. But it was a terrible empire in SO many ways. I REALLY don't want to live in anything close to a Roman Empire - either the Holy Roman one or otherwise. And yet, that's exactly where the world's culture is going.

Sheesh, ok Boomer.

The problem is judgmental, sweeping generalizations and rejection of personal responsibility. I have no idea if you really delve into actual books on these subjects or if you have some sort of quasi internet education but you certainly don't have a scientific/historical eye when it comes to your perception and interpretation of ancient societies. I have observed that you filter all of these through your own biases, including religious ones.

The judgments on the Romans are particularly both egregious and ironic given that the proximal cause of the dissolution of the Roman Empire was Christianity and the adoption of Christian morals, coupled with a poor system for transfer of power and the Empire stopping its expansion and discontinuing slavery. The fire went out of the empire, and it stopped. It was successful, for good or ill, for over 400 years.

But perhaps Christianity is not to blame, perhaps its just that empires have a lifespan that comes to an end as the energies of that empire stagnate. The British Empire is all but gone, but their colony (the U.S.) is still thriving, for now. Other Empires have come and gone - and maybe that's just the way things are and to ascribe specific reasons is arrogance on our part.

Anyway, I think this silly post was about Minthara's lovely boobies and how they are a threat to children everywhere. How the hell did we get here?!

Blackheifer