Originally Posted by 1varangian
In PnP you would never build a character concept and min-max 8 Int around a particular item because there are no guarantees you will find such an item. Or be able to keep it if you do.

In a video game you can just go get it, and it's unlikely you can ever lose it. It changes the game completely and suddenly the "8 Int build" is great because you get to put so many ability points elsewhere. Stupid, but powerful.
Imo this is one place where replayability should shine in BG3. Playing again with foreknowledge of the game, allowing you to create cool builds designed around items/quests/powers you'll get.

My first playthrough, I make a...Paladin (or whatever), optimizing the Paladin at character creation, not assuming I'll find any specific item.
My second playthrough, I know that the Headband of Intellect exists, so I make a Rogue (Arcane Trickster) or Fighter (Eldritch Knight) and dump INT, allowing me to raise other ability scores that would never otherwise do.

It's better than some other methods (e.g., killing off all but 3 companions) because it improves replayability without harming the first playthrough experience. Players aren't required to do multiple playthroughs to get the full experience. Like sure, if you made an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight with 14 Int your 1st playthrough, you'll be a bit sad when you find the Headband of Intellect. But that's fairly insignificant. It's more similar to knowing where an ambush will take place in your 2nd playthrough, allowing you to ambush the ambushers.