Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by Warlocke
A +2 Int headband wouldn’t really account for the amount ogre boss being as articulate as he is, though.
Lump is largely irrelevant in the bigger picture talking about game design. They could just turn him into an Ogre Mage or simply let him be an abnormally smart Ogre.

Also, if you are playing an EK as a spellcaster instead of a Fighter with a bit of magical utility and protection then you are really missing the point of the class. 😂
Nope. The optimal way of playing an EK is to ignore Int and focus on spells that aren't affected by it. They specifically designed EK to be specialized in Evocation and Abjuration spells. But since they designed it poorly, Evocation isn't as useful and requires a stat Abjuration does not. Intelligence modifier also affecting the duration of protection spells would have been better, but they clearly wanted a simple streamlined system and this poor balance is the result.

I don’t understand what you mean by “nope.” The situation with evocation not being optimal for EK is directly what I was referring to. Unless I’m missing something that reads like you said nope and then proceeded to agree with me.
The "point of a class" is not to figure out that half their spells are a bad idea, and only using the other half. Hence, I am not missing the point of Eldritch Knight, I am pointing out what is flawed and not really working in it's design.