Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Originally Posted by Volourn
It's not about being new. It's about being good. Bio.was new when they made the bg series. They were good. Nu bio sucks. They keep.losingnbit by bit what made bioware successful in the first place. Not surprising since the bio creators no longer run the company that is now just a division.

Nu bio ea doesnt even like what they do. The docs actually loved their work, and it showed in their company's work. There was passion. There us passion at bio now. Maybe dome of the new ones will step up with da4, but I highly doubt.

I have issues with bg3, and even feel larian doesn't really like dnd or bg but they still clearly enjoy making games. Bg3 looks like a fun playable game. The new bio stuff is just pure crap.

BG 1 and 2 were great games in late 90s-early 2000s and Throne of Bhaal was mediocre even then, carried only by the legacy of it's predecessors. If released today BGs would easily lose to Pathfinder WotR or PoE. Compare it to Fallout 2 which is a pure masterpiece due to writing and would've been a great game even if it was released today despite outdated graphics.
Don't tell me you really believe that. Fallout 2 is almost unplayable these days. You need to be very tolerant of the clunky controls and the pixel salad you get if you attempt to scale it up to a point where details are visible on modern monitors. It is unfortunate, yes, since I still count it as landmark game that in some respects, hasn't been surpassed after 25 years. But no, it would certainly not be a great game if published today. It would be a game slammed by almost everyone but a very small niche demographic. You could make a game with the same rules and the same dialog system and writing quality and it could be the basis of a great game, but controls and visuals would need to be seriously different in order to make it even acceptable. And even some of the writing, while generally very good, is barebones compared to what people would expect today just because storage space and memory did matter a great deal back then but are almost irrelevant today.

Last edited by Ieldra2; 30/07/23 09:10 AM.