veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Act 4:
I thought it was confirmed that there are supposed to be only 3. O_o

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
My biggest fear is still being put off by 2D item highlighting (I abandoned hope that it will be remedied, I see it happening in many other games and few people seem to mind, although it would be great if someone had the guts to make the world a better place by offering 3D highlighting in at least one 3D graphics engine).

veteran
veteran
Im quite sure i allready stated my biggest fear in the past ...

But one really big grown recently ...
And its that in final release the game will still only "seem" like 3D ... but actually, Axis Z will be absent in engine ... just as it is now. frown

veteran
veteran
I have a coupl big fears about this game. The first is that our main character will continue to be not a blank slate but an empty suit, an eternally disconnected entity with no unique purpose within the narrative that couldn't be supplanted by any of the origin characters when we play as them. Relatedly, I continue to fear that the character won't even be a good blank slate and will be pigeon holed into having only two or three specific personality types they can express, and who mostly serves to exemplify the origin characters thatwill ultimately steal the spotlight.

My biggest fear though isn't even directly tied to anything the game does. I'm really scared that BG3 will do super well and that other crpgs will feel the need to be more like it, when ultimately I think that it fails to capture the full potential of what crpgs can be and may noteven live up to its own ull potential. But it's using a big franchise name and so will get more recognition and attention than it deserves while other deeper, more interesting games get ignored.

C
C
Cyberpunk2.0 .I see Larian constantly advertising on Social Media for hiring Game Testers . I hope they'll keep the tempo of ACT1 which is a 10/10 and not deliver half-broken quests/zones because they didn't hire enough personell in time.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I thought it was confirmed that there are supposed to be only 3. O_o

Swen talks about 3 acts, but others on the team have clarified that in Swen-language, what he is referring to is general story arc progression, not the tangible acts in game which even call themselves acts, and which any sane person would understand the importance of not conflating: Swen also calls D:OS2 a three act game, for example. The fact that others felt the need to clarify this when it came up suggests that the game will indeed have four acts, or some other number that is not, in fact, three.

Gotta admit though... now that it's been voiced, I'm kinda scared about Grey Ghost's second paragraph too. Like, don't get me wrong, I want it to be an excellent game, and I want it to do well if it is... but if it remains the thoroughly unsatisfying trash fire hat it looks like right now, I don't want other games in the industry deciding they need to tar themselves with that brush too.

veteran
veteran
Ok, thanks for explanation.

journeyman
journeyman
I am fearing the Reaction system will stay the same as what we saw the last beta patch.

Stealth staying the same, basically invalidating almost the entire game in how it mechanically works.

Four party member size limiting/hindering variety in composition.

Difficulty not scaling/changing by enemy group composition or difficulty is implemented by changing enemy stats (which is horrible).

veteran
veteran
One fear is that it won’t sell as well because of all the other big games coming out. I would like it to sell really well so many more games like this are made!!!

A
addict
addict
A
my biggest fear on baldur's gate 3 is that it will not be as fun as i have expected it to be. i have alot of fun on an earlier dndn5e game. solasta. and now it's going to have a new DLC Palace of Ice! bringing character levels from 10 - 16. i had so much fun with multi-classing too via mods.

it's basically more to my type of game where the focus is on combat, character builds and i have full control of all 4 of my party characters. yes i spent some time on re-rolling to get some good stats for all my characters and had really great start with that setup.

meanwhile bg3 is focused on visuals, characters, dialogue/conversations, romance, quests and the story. while it has all that the issue i have larian have full control over the companions and their stats (often they will make them average/low and probably a little underpower) to make the overall game harder or balance the way they want it.

so far there's no mention of multiclassing and not even the levels that can be attained in bg3. also, i love solasta more on the combat as it has the square movements which i find it more tactical eg. dwarves have 5 speed, elves have 6 etc. and it's really impactful. also solasta has random encounters which i don't think bg3 has.

larian like to stick to their traditional method where game has less/little battle and each battle is like a game of chess. that works for DOS but i'm not sure it's suitable for a dnd5e. i hope they focus in delivering what's fun and what's important for the focus of a game rather than pushing their own agenda.

L
addict
addict
L
1) That Larian bit off more than they could chew and the game is going to be front-heavy, with later acts having much less freedom, reactivity to class/race and be more railroady as a result.

2) That Bhaalspawn=Abdel Adrian is going to be canon in this game.

3) That the plot is going to be messy. See #1. I suspect Larian in going all in into borderline emergent gameplay with all the optional ways you can approach goals turns situations that would have been comparatively simple to map out in a more conventional rpg into kudzu for the writers and programmers. See that mess with the puzzle box Swen admitted they struggled with for a while. So far it looks like BG III is aiming for grandoise heights with chosen, gods, mindflayer invasions etc, but I'm not sold on the absolute as antagonists yet The goblins are fine I guess as far as Act I goblin lacky antagonists in D&D games go, but in EA 'choices' seemed almost half baked if you tried to side with the evil characters/factions: Kahga vs Tieflings, Druids vs Shadow Druids, Minthara vs Grove, Nere vs Gnomes etc. I'm afraid Larian is reaching for too grandoise goals in the scope of the game in regard to the setting (bigger does not always mean better) and simultaneously might not have the means to deliver

4) Larianisms rubbing off on the game in a bad way. Don't get me wrong, I love DOS2, but the Origin characters were a bad idea for this game IMO. I also don't care for the compromises to singleplayer gameplay made to facilitate the form of multiplayer they are going for, particularly with what seems to me like an emphasis on making the game appeal to streamers. I don't want to watch someone else play it, *I* want to play it. Other smaller aspects like the MMO-style quest reward pop-ups rub me the wrong way.

5) Nostalgia and it's status as the sequel to BG II. BG happened in 2nd edition. It's now 5th edtion. By Larian's own admission nostalgic name recognition was a big part in their choice of subject matter for a D&D game. How do you build a faithful sequel to a game like BG II that chronologically takes place more than a century later after the saga concluded? Apparently by undoing everything the player accomplished, since Bhaal is back. But that's not all. Not only has time advanced and seemingly washed away the legacy of the first two games, but the setting itself is fundamentally different, having undergone so many cataclysmic events, innumerable retcons, etc that I don't know how Larian can stitch the two together convincingly. Maybe for new players it's easy to look past, but for me 5tth edition means the Spellplague, the dissolution of the setting I loved, and I wonder is my nostalgia, which Larian has deliberately cultivated in creating this game, going to lead me into a bittersweet experience? It's easy to ignore the discrepancies in the middle of the wilderness with few npcs about, but when we reach the city?

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Anthraxid
Ending up with a full hybrid of a game that's not actually Baldur's Gate III , but Larian's/DOS Gate III instead.
+1
agree on this too. during early phase of the game is very clearly what larian did was just reuse dos2 and then patch it up as bg3. i mean i'm a programmer myself and i do copy and paste codes. so it's not something uncommon. the end result is that it looks quite "similar" like dos2 where as the difference are assets/rules/etc. being changed. when this is being called upon there are so many fanboys defending larian saying it's not dos.. its really baffling.

Last edited by Archaven; 10/05/23 03:09 AM.
veteran
veteran
My expectation is that all of the many criticisms I've made of the game over the past two years, which have not been addressed in EA, will remain after the launch. Is this a 'fear'? IDK.

journeyman
journeyman
That itll be a disappointing sandwich much like how Halo Infinite was

Last edited by Regulator; 10/05/23 04:49 PM.

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerûn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
veteran
veteran
I would have something differently before, but now I have no fears, it will be what it is. I have so many awesome games to play, this is just one. If it's not what I want, that's fine.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 10/05/23 06:27 PM.
stranger
stranger
Honestly, my major concern is that I may struggle to keep up with everything that's happening. I experience learning difficulties (LD) which can make it challenging for me to fully understand and articulate what is happening at times. I have dyslexia and often struggle with games that rely heavily on written dialogue. Most games only offer initial spoken dialogue and then require extensive reading, which can be challenging for me. Up until now, my experience has been satisfactory. However, I do hope that the feature of the spoken word will continue to be available.

I understand that some may not agree with me, but I enjoy games where I can edit the save game or characters and make myself appear to be Titan-like. I have been searching for an affordable editor without success. I am hoping that Larian will release one, or at the very least make it more feasible for a skilled coder to create one.

It would be beneficial to have a comprehensive manual that is easily understandable for everyone to follow.

I hope you can understand my message. I utilised the free version of Grammarly to improve my grammar. I only wish that the premium version was more affordable.

Please forgive any spelling errors in my message. I am dyslexic and rely on spell-checkers. Additionally, there may be some homophones that have gone unnoticed. Thank you for understanding.
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Biggest issue is the Epicness of the campaign you star as a level 1 character.
On a mindflayer ship, in hell being attacked by dragons.

Compare thar to BG1 outside of candlekeep. Oh a bear can i pet it? No instant killed.

Start small let the plot grow.
Throne of Bhal wasnt your starting point.

2nd biggest issue
The companions, such boring and bad companions and their background really dosnt fit in as level 2-3 characters.
heck none of them should be below 5 and most over 10.

And isnt it strange that of the 5 ppl we ran into all 5 are bisexuall and dont care about race or alignment.
Such boring writing give them some personality ffs.
Vicona aerith back and forth was a highlingt in bg2.

Just stop being lazy dont make story shortcut. oh well tolate now but i said it since 2020 guess Larian cares more about making a statement then making a good story,

I... live! Flesh and blood and bone! I am alive! Ha-ha! I swore I would scratch and crawl my way back into the world of the living... and I have done it!
L
addict
addict
L
Yeah, BG III has you fighting an adamantine golem at level 4. at that level in the OG saga even a Flesh Golem is a difficult fight. The game seems somewhat insecure about starting low and building up. Which feels weird because so much of act I is dealing with the goblins, but then there's also the underdark, mindflayers, drow-stuff that was midgame in BG II.

Companions are in a similar boat. Vampire spawn, chosen, super heroes. Lae'zel is arguably the most normal one-since at least she's unremarkable by Gith standards!

Everyone being pansexual is a necessary compromise as I see it due to the unfortunately limited pool of companions. It was that or an even more limited pool of romance options.

addict
addict
That Larian will go on and make BG3 spin offs or even BG4.
It was a fun side project based on DOS2. Now please get back to DOS3; they can perfectly craft silly fun worlds. Can't wait for THAT game.

In hopes that Black Isle or Obsidian can get the rights to future Baldur's Gate or D&D stuff.

Giving Larian the BG D&D license was like giving a Navy Seal on special operations a Super Soaker and sending him on mission to a theme park in North Korea.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 12/05/23 09:53 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Everyone being pansexual is a necessary compromise as I see it due to the unfortunately limited pool of companions. It was that or an even more limited pool of romance options.
Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous proves you wrong in that regard.

Originally Posted by Leucrotta
2) That Bhaalspawn=Abdel Adrian is going to be canon in this game.
That is also canon in print D&D and thus BG3. The best you can hope for is that it never comes up

Originally Posted by Wyrmblade
Biggest issue is the Epicness of the campaign you star as a level 1 character.
On a mindflayer ship, in hell being attacked by dragons.

Compare thar to BG1 outside of candlekeep. Oh a bear can i pet it? No instant killed.

Start small let the plot grow.
Throne of Bhal wasnt your starting point.

2nd biggest issue
The companions, such boring and bad companions and their background really dosnt fit in as level 2-3 characters.
heck none of them should be below 5 and most over 10.

And isnt it strange that of the 5 ppl we ran into all 5 are bisexuall and dont care about race or alignment.
Such boring writing give them some personality ffs.
Vicona aerith back and forth was a highlingt in bg2.

Just stop being lazy dont make story shortcut. oh well tolate now but i said it since 2020 guess Larian cares more about making a statement then making a good story,
I agree with everything.
When everything is supposed to be epic nothing is. Even Wrath of the Righteous had more of an arc than what we can currently see in BG3.

Last edited by Ixal; 12/05/23 02:19 PM.
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard