Hail travelers, I am so excited to poke around and let my worm see the sigfhts and sounds again after a long wait. I did play a little druid but havbe stayed off the boards here and the subreddit to preserve my spoiler-free virgin experience when the game launches and the full Larian storyline and and plot experience. Count me among the happy EA adopters who have not suffered doubts or concerns, nor impatience. Bard is my class and theres enough new content to do a little 'thievin and 'lootin.

The trailer was epic and I am psyched for August. Anyone who is jonsing for RPG and has not yet played DOS1 but has done DOS2 should have no excuse to sleep on that game. As an olde D&D wizard hat owner who still has the original paperback books I have no opposition on the adaption of rules to the Larian framework. In fact, I think its brilliant. 10/10.

My post is regarding the latest patch and the driver content warning. According to Steam polls I am not alone in owning a workhorse AMD R9 2XX/3XX graphics card. Why not? These cards can have 4-8gb memory and process (at least in theory) DX11/12 with enough throughput (I guess) to run most modern games at a decent framerate @1080 on a wide range of reasonably priced monitors.

I don't want to brag to I will cite a nuetral source as evidence but my GPU is fucking HUGE. It is almost 12" long and thick af:
"The Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X OC measures in 11.75-inches in length with the PCB itself measuring 11-inches in length. The thickness of the R9 290X Vapor-X OC is about 1.85 inches that means it will require the use of three PCI-E slots rather than just taking up two." - https://www.legitreviews.com/sapphire-r9-290x-vaporx-oc-4gb-video-card-review_142216

What really gets up in my hippie girdle is how AMD, right before it jacked up its recent product lines new retail pricing my 500% just cuz' they like money and know gamers are mostly suckers or crypto bros so they decided to sunset driver support for a perfectly viable card and that is so un-canadian it makes me sad everytime I pour out maple syrup. I eat a lot of waffles too. Strangely as it was a year after they said "no more updates" they did an update that was not called an update. LOL OK. So installed that and seems fine, as it was before. Besides the cringy, exploitative price gouging of the dualing game component manafacturers is there any reason this GPU shop?

All jokes about epeenage aside it does get me frothy when an top-shelf "flagship" card that is "over-clocked" by AMD and has plenty of capability left can be so flagrantly made obsolete in a blatant grab for cash. I have not noticed any performance issues. But I am not very picky so I tried to benchmark with msi afterburner/riva stats and that DID crasg game just now. So maybe I will pass on the benchmarks but can I hear from anyone who is in same boat. I bought this card used for $20 in 2020 just the market went nuts and team green launched 3XXX hype train. My R9 270 only had 2gb but was stll fine for DOS2 and other more demanding FPS games. But my AAIO cooler burst and shorted it. I tried a few nvidia cards until I found this card and it really is ridiculous large and I had to remove a PCI card to install in three baysand rerpute cables. It does have three small drones attached the a chevy small block heatsink so shame on team red for trying to sunset my GPU.

Also, right before I got this gpu I bought a second r760 card for SLI and then nvidia shit-canned SLI right before they jacked prices so if it feels like your wallet ois getting jacked when you go to newbegg it is because it is and you have the money then bless you. Even when I have monies I still dont find these clever manipulation amusing. The SLI was using too much power anyway but still...when people are all stuck home gaming then they dio stuff and no one complained?

There are whispers I can use its dual bios and transmogrify it into a 390x using atiflash. If this is true and one someone here has done it to go use please respond. Or tell me why you would rather not spend four digits on your next gaming card because you like avocado toast and bubble baths. Its all good. If I can't play I will double back and beg for help.

Ciao.

PS: I want to play as Goblin or other "monsters"...eventually. Goblins are just smellier, angrier and uglier humaniods with limited sanotary needs and more rustric culinary choices. Playable monster classes may ride the very back of the bus but we are here too dammut!

Last edited by lightzall; 18/12/22 10:39 PM.

No other game has rewarded my low impulse control with so many glorious unintended consequences.