Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#875209 06/08/23 04:31 AM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I have such bad FOMO with this game! I understand it's supposed to be played through multiple times, but I got 7 hours into my first run as a Custom and kept fighting this feeling that I should have just started as Dark Urge. Then I watched a review by someone who started Dark Urge, and lo and behold, it's basically the better version of Custom like I feared. So I'm starting again as Dark Urge.

This game is great, but I can already tell I'm going to tear my hair out while I play it. lol

C
addict
addict
C
Fair enough. I've restated in the last handful of hours after taking two days off before the weekend to play. I very much want to play a durge, but it can wait for me

S
stranger
stranger
S
I've been wrestling with the same temptation. I played a wizard during EA, I only played one full playthrough so I wouldn't burn myself out, and now playing another wizard. I feel like I should have went for something not so vanilla and against what I usually do, like a Bard or something. I also hate the way I made him look ugh but I just keep playing lol.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I completely understand the desire to restart for various reasons, but having seen quite a bit of content from the Dark Urge and playing through custom myself, I wouldn't say Dark Urge is "basically a better version of Custom." If you want a more defined story for your PC and/or really feel like you need the extra gear, abilities, etc., then sure. However, for anyone that wants to define their own character and not have to deal with potentially killing characters they like (whether through DC fails or in a very few cases, having no chance to combat the "dark urge" at all), then I think Custom is a much better option.

Not trying to discourage your choice or anything - play how you wanna play. I've just seen too many people start as Dark Urge because of people saying it's a better version of Custom, only to have them restart because they hate having less agency over what their character does. Hopefully, it's what you're looking for out of your playthrough and you can enjoy it, though.

veteran
veteran
Dark Urge gets REALLY spicy.
There are some very tough scenarios where you can be forced to make multiple consecutive saving throws or suffer VERY dire circumstances for your run. Without going into spoilers I will just say: you NEED wisdom...make sure you have at least 12 or 14 in wisdom, proficiency is vital(there is a helmet you can wear that gives you wisdom saving thro proficiency if you don't play a class that can have it naturally), guidance, everything you can muster in that area. Do not count on reloading to save you if you decide to dump wisdom...I'm talking stuff like three or four saves in a row that go up to DC18 and failing one is all it takes for VERY bad stuff to happen that will have heavy and immediate impact on how you play the game.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 06/08/23 08:54 PM.
addict
addict
No, I'll stick with fully custom for the first game. Dark Urge sounds like fun ( more than playing the other origins, as you can pick race/class/looks ), but It seems likely to be a lot more "invasive" than the baalspawn/slayer narrative in BG1/2.

To be clear, I think playing the Dark Urge is something I will do, but I think it might spoil a first run.

B
stranger
stranger
B
They also need to give us a barber or something to make some appearance adjustments after character creation! man o man that would be great.

old hand
old hand
I just restarted at around a solid 22 hours into my first game with most stuff in act 1 done.

The reason was I killed all the goblin leaders before buying the merchant's stuff I wanted and didnt have a save to fall back on. Ooopsie.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, kind of did the same, played my main for 3 hours, messed around with my secondary, & remade my main with dark urge followed by dipping into cleric since they get a deity choice.

The dark urge run got interrupted by one of my friends making a character and joining. From what I understand, that is still messed up and custom characters can't be dismissed from party if you want to solo.

Did a duo with him, deleted the dark urge and just going to stick with my main.

Have fun btw.

Last edited by fallenj; 07/08/23 09:02 AM.
addict
addict
Lmao. You will restart again, because Dark Urge is messed up

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I've heard a lot of people actually restart into custum Tav after a certain event in the camp early on :P I personally chose to stay, even though it made me an oathbreaker. I like Durge for extra narrator lines and dialogue options, but they are mostly about killing, maiming or resisting, at least do far.

addict
addict
Yep for sure, the narrative changed drastically but that one scene just put me off. So my character went back in time and restart the timeline where he is not a Dark Urge.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dext. Paladin
Yep for sure, the narrative changed drastically but that one scene just put me off. So my character went back in time and restart the timeline where he is not a Dark Urge.
I still think the Dark Urge is still by far the most fun class to play if you properly prepare for it, and you can do that even without going into heavy spoilers really. What it ultimately comes down to is even more to the very important checks we already knew about from the past several years of early access and with even higher stakes riding on them...potentially even game ruining stakes but still...nobody should be shocked to hear that Wisdom and Charisma based checks are REALLY REALLY, INSANELY IMPORTANT for every BG3 player character. It's even more important than that for the Dark Urge.

Link Copied to Clipboard