G
OP Offline
G
Rogue 1 / Ranger 1 / Knowledge Cleric 2 / Bard 5;

By 1 you've got proficiency in 6 skills and expertise in 2
By 2 you've got proficiency in 9 skills and expertise in 2
By 4 you've got proficiency in 15 skills and expertise in 4
By 8 you've got proficiency in all skills and expertise in 8

Bard also means you've got Bardic Inspiration, by 9 (at the latest) that's an extra d8 4x per short rest when you need it.
Cleric also means you've got guidance at will for an extra d4

The order of these can be adjusted but post-respec you want Ranger before Bard so you can potentially use expertise on Ranger acquired skills.

Githyanki would of course accelerate getting to full proficiencies, and you could eliminate the Ranger level, but they're unattractive and ultimately Ranger is what gives your heavy armor proficiencies so I'm not convinced that it's universally "better" at the end of the day. In terms of a character which is Drow and Dark Urge origin, this is what I end up with, ignoring item boosts outside the headband of intellect:

Str (+0)
Athletics (+) (+4) (Rogue)

Dex (+4; Graceful Cloth gives +2, Base 16) (Advantage: Graceful Cloth)
Acrobatics (+) (+8) (Rogue)
Sleight of Hand (++) (+12) (Ranger) (Bard Expertise)
Stealth (++) (+12) (Rogue)

Int (+3; base 8, Headband of Intellect sets to 17)
Arcana (++) (+10) (Knowledge)
History (+) (+7) (Ranger)
Investigation (++) (+10) (Rogue)
Nature (+) (+7) (Ranger)
Religion (++) (+10) (Knowledge)

Wis (+2, base 14) (Universal Proficiency from Knowledge Cleric) (Advantage: Owls Wisdom)
Animal Handling (+6)
Insight (+6)
Medicine (+) (+6) (Dark Urge)
Perception (++) (+10) (Drow) (Bard Expertise)
Survival (+6)

Cha (+4; 2 Stat Gains from Events, base 16)
Deception (++) (+12) (Actor)
Intimidation (+) (+8) (Dark Urge)
Performance (++) (+12) (Actor)
Persuasion (+) (+8) (Bard)

Am I missing other sources of expertise or significant ways to improve skills? Can this be done better, setting aside accelerating getting to this point via alternate choices for Race or background?

G
OP Offline
G
The main thing I missed was that if you become half Illithid you can get Expertise in Persuasion and Intimidation checks as well, giving you Expertise in all Cha based skills and in 10 skills overall, more than half of them, which isn't too shabby.

For Levelling I've found so far that you want Rogue / Cleric 2 / Bard to 6 / Then slot in Ranger.

My skill proficiencies have looked like this:
1 - Street Urchin BG gives Stealth and Sleight of Hand, Dark Urge gives Medicine and Intimidation, Drow gives Perception, Rogue gives Persuasion, Insight, Performance, and Deception. Expertise on Sleight of Hand and Stealth.
2- Knowledge Cleric gives Expertise in Arcana and Religion
3 - For now you're using the Channel Divinity to cover Int since it's far worse and you're down 3 there vs 2 for Wis (one of which is coming up next level)
4 - Bard Prof used for Survival

I'm only lvl 5 currently but intending to use the Bard expertise for Persuasion and Perception, and then the reshuffling to cover other skills will come with the Ranger level, but as is I'm really just missing the expertise I'll eventually possess in Cha based skills and investigative skills, and Athletics, Acrobatics, and Animal Handling, which makes me easier to push around and means my Beastmaster Ranger companion is putting in work for animal-based scenarios. If that becomes an issue or if I find heavy armor I *must* possess I'll have to accelerate slotting in the Ranger level, but so far so good. I'm not a combat monster, but I pass my skill checks.

Last edited by GiantOctopodes; 06/03/24 09:24 PM.
addict
addict
As fun as skills are, they alone arent winning the game.

So I'd rather go College of Lore Bard plus Actor feat and with Expertise in Sleight of Hand, Perception, and all Charisma skills, I'm pretty well off and cover the two important Rogue skills as well.

As far as I know, Bardic Inspirations can only be given to others. If the Bard himself wants one, they need a second Bard in the group.

About Knowledge Domain Cleric, Cleric also gains the Cantrip Thaumaturgy as well. So spending one level on that is indeed tempting.

Link Copied to Clipboard