Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have been looking for skill charts everywhere and cant find any. To make sure you know what i am asking help with is the levels needed to level up skills.

What we do in life echos in eternity!
Support
Support

I don't recall seeing any comprehensive list of character level requirements for skill levels. The DKS FAQ/Guide (etc) lists the character level each skill becomes available, but not for subsequent skill levels.

You should have enough gold to unlearn your skills either when you take over the battle tower or not terribly long afterwards, so you don't need to be too careful mapping out what skills you plan on using in advance.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks

old hand
old hand
ok based on this post & a few others like it do you think I should work on a skills section for the DKS guide.

Welcome to the Forums wink

Support
Support

If you are starting a new character anyway, a list of the level requirements for skills would at least be of minor interest (ie handy but not essential, IMO). That info would be much easier to get from the PC version with the help of a trainer, though, especially with some skills having extra levels available if you boost them enough in a new FoV character. To get this info in the Xbox version you would have to keep a lot of skill points in reserve in order to check skills each time you went up to a level to meet the lowest skill requirement (that was previously unavailable).

old hand
old hand
Well nothing worth doing is ever easy, bisides I'm sure that between everyone on the forums it could be done in notime at all. I normally make a warrior mage it's very rare I ever make a ranger so it may take awhile if I were to do it alone, it would be handy to have input from someone that makes a ranger class on a regular basis. The Warrior & Mage class I could do myself after all thay are my main builds on the game, so if ayone could help out with the Ranger skills it would be greatley appritiated & you'll be credited for your input.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I think that being able to see what your character would look like finished b4 you even start the game would be rely cool. Stats and the effects of skills leveled along with where to put your skill points and stat points to make the dream character for anyone weather it be ranger, warrior, mage, rouge, battle mage, or a supreme combo of all three. Like personally i like more up close and personal combat and like to make sure i have defense so i do sword and shield. I also like to be self self sufficient so life leach and regenerate is a must have! Also evade and reflect are also a must. This is the kind of character i like and i think its rely good. It will be a long and hard process getting the stats and putting together characters for others so they can start things off rite!

old hand
old hand
I'm more of an in your face dual weilding magic Missile hurling nightmare on DKS grin

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Lol that sounds just like my little bro he started a character just a few days ago and is a level 10 duel wielding battle mage!

old hand
old hand
Like yourself though I always use Leech life & leach mana I also enchant my weapons with both leech mana & life, & when I get the weapons that I'll be keeping equiped I always make the enchants lvl 10.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
I dual wield. It's an up close all in your face kind of style all right, but I compensate for the lesser defense by moving and jumping a lot, and by dealing A LOT of damage in a short time. Even if an enemy does manage to corner me and keep me from moving away, he (or she) usually goes down before I do.

To keep myself going without the need for constant healing potions, I have a few dots in life leech (which is a good combo with a high-end damage dealing capacity). I thought about regeneration, but the slow healing rate made me choose the healing skill instead. It requires activation and has a mana cost, but it heals much faster than regeneration. You really only need one dot.

When it comes to enchantments, I prefer the level 9 ones to level 10. The level 9 ones are much weaker, true, but I don't have to worry about using up an irreplaceable malachite gem and then finding a slightly better sword around the corner. As it is, I can swap enchantments and equipment at my leisure.

People say that I will find the perfect weapon set one day, and give it a level 10 enchantment. But I don't know. Maybe I'm not ready for that level of commitment.

apprentice
apprentice
Regenerate! I stack it like crazy! They try to hurt me, but I regen hp so fast, they can't. hahaha
I also like reflect on my dual wielding warrior.

Now, I'm playing a mage, with hamnmer and shield (magic damage over 500 woot). Fireball is at 12 and Magic missile at 11.

I do love my warrior though, but since all my stats are in INT, I can't really switch now. -.- Next time I build a true ranger lol.

I actually had quite a few malachite gems and I got some nice Epic gear that I prefer to the Aleroth Archemage set. I did throw quite a few lvl 10 life line and increase mana on that gear. For a Warrior, I really like the Scorpion set or the Ulthring set (well my mage wears a few pieces of it). If you got the expansion, you will get a lot more malachite gems later on.

Plus, check out the list of malachite veins in one of the walkthroughs. I usually quick save and if I don't get a malachite, I do a quick reload, until I get at least 2 out of each vein. LOL

Last edited by Agrona; 21/09/11 05:43 PM.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
It would be nice to regenerate. The reason I didn't choose it as a skill, was that I guessed I would have to 'stack it like crazy', if it were to do any good. Basically, I chose the 'life leech path' instead! evil

I have checked out the malachite veins in the walkthroughs (but thanks for the tip!). And I do the 'save and reload' dance whenever I find a vein. But I don't have the patience to squeeze out two gems every time - that would take, like, forever.

When it comes to enchantments I prefer to straightaway increase normal and magic damage for weapons, and to protect myself evenly from all kinds of damage when it comes to armour. (And now you probably think, 'well, d'uh,' - but I have heard that a lot of people prefer the more "specialized" enchantments, such as life line or increased mana. Maybe that is a better choice?)

It sounds fun playing a mage with high levels in ranged magic attacks. I only have one ranged magic power - namely, burning arrows - and I chose that one over fireball simply because it was something different. I use it mainly to soften up enemies and get their attention, before I rush in and cut them to ribbons. Being able to kill everyone in sight simply by looking at them and saying 'Burn', must be convenient!

Support
Support

Level 1 of Regenerate gives you a reasonable boost. I didn't bother with higher levels (with a lower return on investment), since once my ranger got a high enough level to be able to afford boosting other than the main ranger skills, the extra healing rate wasn't really needed. I'm planing on starting an unarmed warrior character someday, and will probably boost Regenerate and Life Leech.

In DKS I found most veins will offer you 2 malachite gems within 2 or 3 minutes of reloading. In FoV some quests can have malachite gems as a possible quest reward. Between malachite veins and reloading up to 3 or 4 times turning in quests (with multiple quest rewards), I finished the game with 65 gems (having used 2 for healing auras and 2 for the blind philosopher in the fjords).
Next game I'm either going to have to use more healing auras and level 10 enchantments, or not bother reloading.

I do the same with weapon enchantments; for a third slot there isn't a big difference, but I went with Butcher with my ranger in DKS, and Poison with my warrior in D2:ED.
For armour I went primarily with Life Line, and then Increased Mana, unless I was particularly vulnerable to a type of damage, in which case I would add one of the protection auras. If you are not dying a lot, running out of mana or using a lot of potions, then you have enough hit points and mana, so your enchantment choices are fine.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have gotten farther and i must say i am liking the way my character has turned out! I made it to FOV and got a pre self sufficient character going on. He has maxed life leach, maxed regenerate, maxed death blow, maxed sword and shield, and maxed mine reading so i dont have to lose exp and maxed lock picking so i can get all the loot! I got a good amount in evade and got 7 in wisdom...still working on that lol. My character pre much never uses magic he just hacks away with Deodatu's Mace that is enchanted with increased damage, increased magical damage, life leech, mana leech all at level 10. So at the moment it dose a minimum of 423 normal damage and a minimum of 867 magical damage with a 44.50 crit rate. It is also charmed with 3 divine damage charms! For any distant enemies i use Invisible Death increased damage, increased magical damage, and butcher at level 10 along with 3 divine dexterity charms! What i meant earlier by self sufficient is well my regenerate is maxed and my life leach is maxed but i also have my belt, necklace, earrings, bangle, and both rings all have level 10 healing auras! Those auras along with my regenerate and extreme damage combined with my life leech...oh and did i forget to mention i have a 71% crit rate lol ya i regenerate more each second than they do damage plus every other hit i gain roughly 1000 health lol Beast! I also have every aura and damage enchantment you can get at level 10 on my belt, earrings, rings, bangle and necklace! They walk up and are already almost dead! And just in case something comes along that is gonna give me a challenge i have like 120 ultimate healing potions on me at all times and potion efficiency half way maxed at the moment...still working on it haha. For a distraction i have my creature with all perfect body parts and he has over 7000 health and takes out enemies on his own! Currently level 42 and still climbing very quickly! Vitality and Strength are my main attributes that i focus on but due to my higher magic damage i have redistributed some points to intelligence. Resistances are all a good amount above 60% and conditioned body and indomitable will are 70% and up and heightened reflexes when using the bow is also 70% and above! So far I have completed all quests in the game up until where i am currently and have used all strategies i could think of like save and reload for randomizing chests and make sure i watch out for the leveling problem in the game, i will explain. The game has a bad exp gain/leveling system. If you don't visit specific areas at a cretin level you will lose out on a lot of exp depending on your level. My opinion is the exp should be set and not adjusted just because of a higher level than the enemies. Also responding enemies would have been a good idea! Anyway that is what i got going on at the moment lol

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard