Print Thread
#504522 01/07/14 02:06 PM
Z
Zachb34 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Z
Is there a way to remove the Lone Wolf ability from my characters without re-rolling?

This ability is so bad I have no clue how the game was launched with it as is....

stranger
stranger
Strange... I rather like it. It's fun playing without any companions. Although maybe not on the first play-through, as the comments they give are quite fun. All the extra action points are great smile.

I don't believe there's any way to remove it, other than going to a previous save, maybe someone else knows better.

Maybe turn down the difficulty as an alternative?

addict
addict
Perception and reality are two distinct things.

Lone Wolf isn't bad. It's quite powerful, actually, if you know how to make use of it. But as most talents come with a downside, so does this one. Being a pretty extreme talent, it comes with a pretty extreme downside.

Although, even I feel that Lone Wolf should get some more positives to counter-balance the huge losses you get (no companion, less overall flexibility, late game disadvantage for the early game advantage).

Note that this comes from someone who finished all the cyseal content during beta just before game launch with two lone wolfs with glass cannon. And they were a ranger and wizard at base. And I died maybe a total of 5 times.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
Z
Zachb34 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Z
Lone wolf needs a buff, it's beyond terrible.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I don't think it's intended to be "balanced", I think it's supposed to be an extra challenge.

veteran
veteran
What kind of buff, specifically, do you think it needs? (Larian is more likely to listen if you have a specific thing you want fixed about Lone Wolf.)

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Lone Wolf is ultimate noob trap.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Isn't Lone Wolf intended to be an extreme challenge such as playing Dragon Age: Origins as a single character (a self imposed challenge here) or playing Dark Souls as a level 1 character that never levels up? I certainly wouldn't expect it to be balanced in terms of gameplay difficulty, I would expect the complete opposite.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Zachb34
Lone wolf needs a buff, it's beyond terrible.

Maybe you are terrible player... playing with one Lone Wolf on Hard and it's just fine.

addict
addict
But you DO get bonuses to alleviate the losses. And in the end, all traits are meant to be gaining an advantage, but at some form of cost. For some, the cost is a level or skill requirement, while for others the cost is a loss in some other area.

Lone Wolf and Glass Cannon are among the most easily accessible traits that are very radical in terms of gains vs. losses, with lone wolf being the most complex of them all.

So, properly balancing lone wolf needs a lot of thought put into it, not just a few minutes of thought and hours of negative sentiments.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
O
stranger
stranger
O
I disagree that it is garbage. It might make the game somewhat harder later on but for now I am playing blind on Hard mode with both LW characters and it is a breeze. I am level 4 with 5-6 unspent Skill Points on each and I can take on a group level 4-5s no problem.

The bonus appears to come close to effectively making one character as strong as two non-LW characters without having to tediously control both. With two Skill Points per level and an 80% HP buff you basically get as many Skill Points and HPs as four characters. Summoned pets can provide additional targets in combat.

U
stranger
stranger
U
I played most of the Beta with two LW characters and had no difficulty reaching level 7 with only a couple team wipes. It's a trait that is very punishing of mistakes in your build, but properly executed it makes your characters very hard to kill (I found the mobility provided by the extra AP crucial). I suspect the trait is less effective for characters who cannot engage targets from range. It may be a severe drawback late game but as I've not progressed that far I can't speak to that.

If people do think it needs some kind of buff, post your ideas for Larian to see. Perhaps they will consider it.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I think the words are clear : "Lone Wolf". What's so misunderstanding with these 2 words and their specific combination ?

They imply a consequence, yes.

But people rather act as if they'd like to eat the cake and still have it at the same time ...

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 01/07/14 08:37 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch

Link Copied to Clipboard