Print Thread
M
Mirkob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
load and save are abnormally slow,

i suppose the it's mostly due to my window system really low performance, but until a linux version is out i'm limited to a low end, 1 year old laptop, with barely 2GB of ram and slow disk.

i don't remember if the problem was already so bad in the few alpha trial i have done, but now (from the release to the last 1.2GB update) the game is monstrously slow at loading and doubly so at saving

i mean 5:30+ minute for a simple load
more than 9 minute for a save (even a "quick" save!)

it's so bad that i can't bring myself to save for hours, and then an accidental death (or in one case a bug) happen and force a reload from the last save, losing hours of gameplay! (and after the damage you even have to wait 5m to see how much you have lost)

aside for this fact the game work ok, at near minimum settings, i tryed to disable everything and reduce screen size to no advantage in load time unfortunately,
i even disabled the autosave to avoid 10minute pauses every time i change map (as it happened in the demo dungeon at the start), but still...

even if i brave the not saving risk, things happen, for example i just found the homestead and again i lost like 10minutes waiting (and fearing it was a bug and i lost hours of play)

how is it possible that simply to make a quicksave the program have to dump all is playing data and then reload it again? doing so take almost double of the load time!

if it was only a load problem it wouldn't be gamebreaking
but fearing to save because of the monstrous time loss, and then fearing exploring because you haven't saved in 2 hour, and then again once every few hours losing hours of gameplay because of stupid death...

i nearly dumped the game, but still i'm too addicted to leave it completely!

please larian, isn't there some quick hack that could significantly reduce at least the saving time?

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
I am afraid the reason might be your RAM of just 2 GB. When I used my old 6 years old laptop (3 GB RAM) it also took me about 3-4 minutes to load a savegame, although quicksaving took about 15-20 seconds. Try to turn all your graphics setting to very low and shut down all non essential programms (like web browser, antivirus etc). Are you playing via Steam? If so, then verify your local game cache - maybe some files weren't properly downloaded...

M
Mirkob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
al settings are already to lowest possible point
even reduced the monitor setting to lowest than screen real resolution, hoping less graphic to load smile

disabled the antivirus, no program launched after windows start, even the steam interface closed

al to no avail, or at most a few seconds.

i'll try to check the local cache but with little hope...

what kill me is the need of unloading everything for a quicksave and then reload frown

I have 8 GB (2x4GB) of DDR3 2133 RAM (10-11-10-28 T2), an i7 Extreme CPU (4930k), and a three way RAID0 (read/writes at ~300 MB/s practical ~350MB/s benchmarked). I can vouch for long save/load times, and as you can see by my system specs, there is little reason for it. I'm not talking about minutes, but it does seem like a ridiculously long time compared to any other came I can think of.

Last edited by nstgc; 03/07/14 06:49 PM.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
M
Mirkob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Elwyn
... Are you playing via Steam? If so, then verify your local game cache - maybe some files weren't properly downloaded...

tryed the verification, it foud 5 files not ok, it downloaded them again (88kbyte) and nothing changed frown

maybe larian have still some optimization to do in the pipeline (someone somewere in the forum mentioned that there are still debug feature active) but i fear it's systemic.

but my best hope resides in a rethinking of how the save process work, eliminating the need of liberating the ram of the cyseal data and then reload them again every time i do a quicksave, but i have no idea of how or why it happen so no idea if it's avoidable.

M
Mirkob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
now quicksave WORK!!! only 34 seconds!

the loading time is still huge, but it's totally another world!

back to game!

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard