Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I'm unaware if this is a well known annoyance, but it's a big one. Hopefully this post will prevent this from happening to a few other people.

So anyway, pertaining to the subject; how is this not already implemented? Why are the auto-save and quick-save files for single player and multiplayer being shared?!

This is a terrible flaw IMO, and it caused me to just overwrite what turned out to be 4 days worth of playing solo just due to the fact that I tried out Co-op. Looks like it's time to take a break.

Fix this, as this is just another example of people being comfortable releasing very flawed games, and meandering through patch fixes ad nauseum for months on end.

Last edited by Secondbrother; 09/08/14 06:28 PM.
Support
Support

In the options you can increase the number of auto saves and quick saves kept (up to 25). You can also make named saves.

You can create different profiles to separate different sets of saves (including single player and multiplayer games).

There is no inherent distinction between single player and multiplayer games, since it is drop-in / drop-out co-op. You can start a game in single player and switch to multiplayer, or vise versa.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
That, then, is a terrible design. Easily fixed by creating separate save/auto-save/quick-save files for single player and online.

Using a separate profile for online makes more sense than having different saves on the same profile for MP and SP.

Support
Support

What happens if you want to play different coop games with different people, or start a new single player game to try out different character builds? Should the game keep all the saves together and have multiple sets of differently named quick and auto saves?

How should it name a multiplayer game that you load and then continue single player? Or a single player game that someone drops in to play coop for awhile? Switch the naming scheme back and forth, or stay consistent?

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
From these replies, one would think it's never been done before. That's nonsense, as is the suggestion that it's 'better' to have multiple profiles for the game. Never having had to do this, I ask why should I have to, when this whole thing should not even be an issue.

To Raze I say they should copy the system Hellgate: London followed. Or any of the early Diablo's. Or any game that had single player/coop options. This is the first game of it's kind that this was an issue. Seems like quite an oversight.

Again, huge flaw.

Support
Support

Separate profiles have also been done before. I fail to see how keeping all saves in one folder/list, regardless of the number of different games on the go, is a better design than allowing you to keep them separate.

Hellgate London auto-saves when you quit or switch areas (and if you are in the middle of the zone when you quit, loading the game again puts you in a town). Diablo 2 also auto-saved, and IIRC you could not load an earlier save without manually copying/restoring save files.
In D:OS you can save whenever you wish, and make named saves.

The only thing Diablo 2 saved was your character, quest status and inventory. D:OS saves the state of the game world. You can't load an earlier state in Diablo 2; in D:OS you may want to do so to try completing quests in different ways, or save, try out a new spell or talent/attribute choice, and reload if it isn't as effective as you expected or doesn't fit your character build, etc.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I am not really sure what you're talking about, I know immediately that quicksave cycled and could be lost. I ALWAYS did a name save when I tried any new games. I promise you this is common sense.

Also you say MP and SP as if they are like whole different systems. In the top right is a diamond, that no matter what setting you start with, you can seamlessly switch between them.

You messed up and didn't do a hard save in a game that is extremely save sensitive. You truly have no one but yourself to blame. Many games do not even offer multiple quicksaves, which forces you to make hard saves whenever you want to try something crazy.

The bottom line is your laziness killed your game, if you honestly thought Quick Save 1 was forever stamped into a specific game and not just a quick save slot, then your logic is the huge flaw. Sorry.

Link Copied to Clipboard