Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Don't remember that. I do remember having to play as much as possible in one sitting: if there was any save system at all it was onto crinkly cassette tape, so realistically there wasn't any save system at all (not unless you were a very rich person who could afford a floppy drive... about £400 for a basic one with a controller back then, IIRC: not sure what that is in today's money except for "a bloody lot").

I mostly played platformers at the time. My most common achievement is the one that said "game over".

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Pickpocketing in the current state makes little sense. It's designed entirely to make sneaky play less viable outside of combat. You can't steal their armor, weapons or accessories as you could in Skyrim to tilt the fight vastly in your favor. You're limited to a single theft with pathetically low amounts of value and can NEVER steal from that merchant again. Being alert for months at a time is illogical and just a way for the devs to preventyou from gaining massive amounts of items by slowly cheesing the theft system.

They didn't design a creative reason NOT to steal. They didn't design a good theft system. Skyrim had a great idea, and few games have every tried to capitalize on it since. I thought the games industry was about taking what works to make your games better while still providing a new experience. This feels like I'm going back in time to disgustingly restrictive gameplay.

If I want to roleplay as a master thief and rob everything, I can't. There isn't a non-aggressive way to use sleeping magic. There isn't a non-aggressive way to use magic that isn't a buff or heal that doesn't have the NPCs jump down your throat. The game is, despite the customization options and spell "choices" VERY linear in how you play it.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
The game already encourages players to murder every innocent or not innocent beings for experience and you want to encourage them to rob and steal everything also?
Imagine the game being released and every single player's first decision is to be a crime lord because the rewards are so good compare to other civil skills, not because everyone have a thief heart but because the game encourages it. Sort of like the first game where the player just goes into every house and steal every expensive painting or jewelry, because books were expensive and you could read every book and it was so easy to steal.

Thieving is just one civil skill, it shouldn't be that much better than the other ones, I think it's not so bad in current state, know the npcs, steal what you need to give you an edge in quests and get out. (like invisibility potions or keys) I find sneak to be completely useless though, there is really no point in sneaking when there is invis skill.

A
addict
addict
A
I have to agree the pickpocketing only once thing is.....Irritating? Annoying? Game Breaking?

I mean, I have keep a guide open in another tab to make sure I don't accidently steal from a merchant before they restock without actual good stuff. How the heck is a new player suppose to know when to steal and when not to steal? It's like being punished for actually trying the mechanic until you know the entire game like the back of your hand.

Originally Posted by sfzrx
The game already encourages players to murder every innocent or not innocent beings for experience and you want to encourage them to rob and steal everything also?
Imagine the game being released and every single player's first decision is to be a crime lord because the rewards are so good compare to other civil skills, not because everyone have a thief heart but because the game encourages it. Sort of like the first game where the player just goes into every house and steal every expensive painting or jewelry, because books were expensive and you could read every book and it was so easy to steal.

This has always been in RPGs. It's a thing. Skyrim's mods that have gaurds investigate or DO2 where people notice something wrong is the natural evolution.

Otherwise, you're just having a morality debate about what actions should or should not be allowed or encouraged.....and that's a ridiculous notion. In fact, last time that came up the discussion became multiple pages long and there were no design ideas that could satisfy everyone.

Good Guys finish last -> that's always been a true statement. Fact is: Crime pays better and I see no reason why games shouldn't reflect this. I thought games, such as Fable, that had endings/character skills/appearances specifically designated based on moral alignment were nice though. A little "You done good son, so here's a little something something"

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
In skyrim investing in pickpocket means losing out on skill points invested into combat, it's a trade off, but in DOS 2 what do you lose? Literally nothing.

Sneaking is useless in it's current state, bartering isn't useful either because you have more than enough money, loremaster seems a bit more useful but it's still useless.

Thieving is the best out of the 4 civil skills, not just because you can steal door keys(I'm assuming it's possible, haven't tried) and bypass certain encounters, it also unlocks doors which bypasses even more encounters.

I'm surprised that nobody is bringing up how useless the other civil skills are but instead tunnel visioning on pickpocket, it's already better than the other civils skills, if skills need to be buffed then the other ones should come first.

And murdering everyone for exp is not always encouraged in rpgs, for example, pillar of eternity, rewards exp for completing quests and not from kills, I'd say that game did a better job on not encouraging mass murdering, hell, when I was doing my solo run I killed the black cat and every single magister and monk on the island just because I need to level up, and do I really want to kill everyone? No. The best part was that I often had to convince for a peaceful solution through speech check for exp and then kill them right after for more exp, which is pretty stupid.

I agree pickpocket once thing is not the best when you have no idea what people carries to begin with, but pickpocketing merchants for infinite gear and gold every time they restock is game breaking. Investing in thieving skill shouldn't automatically give player access to everything NPCs carry without having to kill them, that's way too convenient, which is why I think the pickpocket once thing should stay.

Last edited by sfzrx; 05/07/17 10:10 PM.
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
You can pickpocket any number of times and can get anything regardless of value with a simple exploit.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Originally Posted by Naqel
As a solution to RNG save-scumming, theft in Divinity has no random failure chance.
Instead, you get one shot, and you can only steal items worth a certain total value.

If you steal again, or grab more than you should, the target is alerted to your actions, and responds appropriately.

Has anyone tested, if you are better at bartering, can you pickpocket more items because their relative cost is lower?

A
stranger
stranger
A
The game classic "Arcanum" (get it on GOG or Steam) has the best stealing system ever created. At night when the NPC is sleeping, walk into his/her shop and locate the shop-chest, but remember to not steal everything or the storekeeper is put out of business.

All the things you the player need to do to actually "steal" in Arcanum is amazing. And really beside the graphics by today's standard, the game beats most modern RPG's in story and technical RPG innovations. Troika Games... R.I.P

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Avalonica
At night when the NPC is sleeping, walk into his/her shop and locate the shop-chest, but remember to not steal everything or the storekeeper is put out of business.

That's actually a really cool idea. Permanent consequences for thievery! I imagine if Skyrim had something similar, like seeing a shopkeeper NPC get turned into a beggar after going out of business (by you stealing from him too much), I may have reconsidered pilfering everything in sight.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard