Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#619083 22/09/17 03:10 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I must admit I haven't played through DOS 2 yet. So far I haven't heard a word about the dragon knights. Have they been just taken out entirely, since they "killed" Lucian in Divinity 2? Is Damian dead?

I honestly don't understand why continuity has such little value in Larian's eyes. It's obvious that they do want their universe to be taken seriously.

Last edited by Lindworm; 22/09/17 03:11 PM.
So you don't know what will happen and you procede to call the storyline nonsensical?

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Ayath The Loafer
So you don't know what will happen and you procede to call the storyline nonsensical?

Isn't it obvious that there is no continuity, except for names that appear in every game? DOS2 is more tightly interwoven with DOS in that manner, which is quite obvious by title alone but still... It's annoying be a bit. Perhaps I should just see the Original Sin storyline disjointed from the Divinity one, is that it?

addict
addict
TBH, the game plots and villains are extremely weak and boring. They're just there for the sake of having one.

But the selling point of the game is really the journey and your companions. That's the part you will care the most about and why some people, including me, are still salty about the game epilogue.

Last edited by Ellezard; 22/09/17 03:49 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It's true, the main plots in the Divinity games are all very simple power fantasies, which I'm not excited about but can enjoy as well. Still, I think it's quite obvious in their dialogues and such that they can write a more "adult" storyline.

And I, honest to god, didn't enjoy any of the companions. My villainous main character gladly killed them off. I heard that the ending of the romances are quite lackluster as well.

Anyway, I believe that Damian is probably my favourite character, even if he's the stupid evil kind of guy.

Last edited by Lindworm; 22/09/17 04:03 PM.
T
T
Larian's games have always been very tongue-in-cheek. I for one am quite grateful for that, I've had enough doom-and-gloom, everybody-is-just-a-different-shade-of-dark-grey, whatever-you-do-don't-expect-a-good-outcome-just-a-slightly-less-shitty-one games in the last two years. And even better, Larian allows you to play an evil character. Colour me a happy camper.

So far I haven't run into any glaring continuity issues, I'm probably 50% through Driftwood. So I reserve final judgment...

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Though you must admit that DOS2 is a lot more serious than DOS1, which I'm quite grateful for. The goofiness made the first game difficult to bear for me.

Originally Posted by Terodil
So far I haven't run into any glaring continuity issues, I'm probably 50% through Driftwood. So I reserve final judgment...

You have played the previous games besides DOS1, right?

T
T
I agree, DOS1 was too goofy. I really like the balance between dark/serious and humorous/optimistic they have managed to produce this time.

Re: continuity: maybe I'm getting old and my memory starts failing me? Not sure, do you have anything particular in mind?

I absolutely loved Ego Draconis, so I played that quite a few times. I left out Dragon Commander, and I only keep dim memories of Beyond Divinity etc. previous to those because they never quite managed to captivate me and it's been a long, long time (my foremost memory of those is what a pain slogging through random encounters was, lol).

In any case, I'd like to hear what you are thinking, I love lore.

Last edited by Terodil; 23/09/17 02:05 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I think I mentioned the most important parts in my opening post.

DD and BD are probably the best in the sense of story-progression and continuity; the fact that they have a nearly identical style only strengthens that. It's a direct follow-up of the Divine's next steps after destroying the Demon of Lies and saving the baby, which becomes Damian. The Divine Order is born, Lucian kills Damian's love Ygerna who's a member of the Black Ring and wants to awaken D's inner power, D gets mad, Lucian still doesn't dare to kill him, D's imprisoned in a different world etc. etc. ... Doesn't matter, it's all explained in the novella "The Child of Chaos".

In the end, Damian is free again and roams Rivellon.

Then begins the storyline of Ego Draconis. Damian corrupts the dragons to kill Lucian... - wait, dragons?! B-but... where's muh Souarce?!
Yeah, exactly, the idea of Source is only an addition since DOS1, which we all know plays thousands of years in the past, long before the Divine came into being. Does DD and BD mention it? Nope. Braccus Rex? Hah, nah!

And then begin the most glaring problems. DOS2 plays in the time where Lucian died. Same timeline as in Ego Draconis. Did he die by dragons? No. No mention of them, neither the Dragonslayers nor Dragon Knights are anywhere to be seen. Source is surely mentioned, though. Apparently Damian has been killed as well.

Thus Ego Draconis has been made entirely pointless from a lore perspective. I'm not someone to oppose additions and new ideas, but ignoring one game's entire lore? That's... a bit mad, I must say. I've never seen an official statement that explains those changes as well. That's why I wondered if I should seperate the stories of DOS1 and 2 from the Divinity saga.

Last edited by Lindworm; 23/09/17 04:03 PM.
T
T
Lindworm: I had a long post typed out, re-read it and deleted it. You know what: I tend to agree. There are too many inconsistencies and logical gaps between the "old" divinity saga and the "new" from OS1/2 to be explained with temporal/topological distance. I remember going a bit 'lolwut' when I played through OS1 anyway, but then I personally considered it of significantly lesser quality than the fantastic DKS (no offense to people who loved it, OS1 just wasn't my cup of tea for numerous reasons) and just let that experience sink into oblivion. Time had mellowed my judgement but now it's all coming back... yeah. Best to just treat them as separate narrations based in a similar world.

*puts on suspension of disbelief hat*

Last edited by Terodil; 23/09/17 06:29 PM.
stranger
stranger
I saw the title of this topic, and I thought the same thing ! So I read it all !
And after reading, I chose to add a few things, because in my opinion they can probably save a bit of the DOS saga, even if, having reached the near end of DOS2, I am also disappointed with certain scenario choices.

-Ahem, beware : spooooooooils ! -

First :
"B-but... where's muh Souarce ?!

In Divine Divinity, at the very beginning in the little village of Aleroth (so millenia before DKS !) your character use "the Source" (a fountain with magic water) to cure some people. So, indeed, there's Source in the first game ! But it was not described as an so important point as it is in the two DOS.
In DKS, in this same Aleroth which has become a great metropolis, the Source (always the same a priori - the fountain) is decried as dried up. Which is perfectly logical with the plot of DOS2 and the death of the Seven (I remember that some books in the game speak of the death of the gods). In the end, this is a good coherence from this point of view: the dragons "take back" their place of divinity - some DOS2 dialogues suggesting that they existed far before the Seven made their putsh and that the Patriarch himself seems totally indifferent to the disappearance of the Rivellon Source.

Second :
"Then begins the storyline of Ego Draconis. Damian corrupts the dragons to kill Lucian... - wait, dragons ?!"

Agree for the lack of Dragons (:p) and the problem of Lucian's murder - but then, without a precise chronology, there's always a chance of a big twist into the time gap between the differents game (let for another new episode, may be).
On the island of Fort Joy, when you go to the Braccus' Castle (ruins !) you find portals that allows you to travel to a place called "Orobas' realm" ! I've not find any quest to deal with, but may be there's one ? And there's also Slane, the winter dragon (♥) on the beach. Another point that I'm surprised is the bow of the Lady Vengeance : why a red dragon ? We can see at the very end of the game that Dallis can turn into a dragon form, but she's not described as one (just as an eternal). All these details make me feel a bit troubled : it's like a part of the game have been cutted off... need more answer !

On the other hand, DKS has left a lot of shadows in the period before it, on the different characters (we just saw Maxos in DC and Bellegar in DOS1), so it leaves us good reasons to think that the Divinity series is not yet ready to stop: just hope that the concerns of the players as to the continuity of the games find an echo. The intrigues are so vast that it may have been somewhat lost. So, the only thing left to do is to wait for a sequel (or a good big remake?) of Dragon Kight Saga with full answers to all these questions left on hold !

PS : sorry for mistakes, I'm not english.

~
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Heim

First :
"B-but... where's muh Souarce ?!

In Divine Divinity, at the very beginning in the little village of Aleroth (so millenia before DKS !) your character use "the Source" (a fountain with magic water) to cure some people. So, indeed, there's Source in the first game ! But it was not described as an so important point as it is in the two DOS.
In DKS, in this same Aleroth which has become a great metropolis, the Source (always the same a priori - the fountain) is decried as dried up. Which is perfectly logical with the plot of DOS2 and the death of the Seven (I remember that some books in the game speak of the death of the gods). In the end, this is a good coherence from this point of view: the dragons "take back" their place of divinity - some DOS2 dialogues suggesting that they existed far before the Seven made their putsh and that the Patriarch himself seems totally indifferent to the disappearance of the Rivellon Source.

I'm not sure it's necessary to mark these things as spoilers. We're mostly talking about quite old games after all. But...

I actually forgot that DD had this fountain, shame on me, but I'm more or less certain that the Source mentioned then has nothing to do with the Source we have now. In fact, I actually believe they expanded on that detail that never had a conclusion (?), and made a big thing out of it. As you mentioned, it only became important in the two DOS games.

That's all fine and dandy, but doesn't explain why no one in DOS2 mentions the dragons as being behind the death of Lucian. It seemed like everyone KNEW that they were behind his disappearance, while no one knows that or thinks so in DOS2. Also doesn't explain where the Knights and Slayers went.

But... we don't know where Aleroth lies in relation to Reaper's Coast, do we? For all we know, they could be very far apart, thus created their unique mythos around Lucian's death. Though when I think about it, it doesn't make much sense, considering magic and all that fuss. Things would've gone around.

I don't really have much to add to the rest. Things have been left out, obviously. I'm pretty sure they will continue with this IP, and hopefully sort a few things out.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Just with reference to timelines, DD is only about 80 years before D2: its events occurred in Anno Deorum 1218, and D2 in 1300. Beyond Divinity was in 1238, OS2 in around 1235 and D:OS four years before the new calendar (so 1,222 years before DD). The thousands of millennia thing would be Dragon Commander which IIRC is around 8,000 years prior to... something or other. DD, probably.

Edit: I'm not totally sure of OS2's year: I seem to recall there was some uncertainty about its exact position a while back but my unreliable memory says it's somewhere between Damian's banishment (1233 I think) and reappearance in 1238.

Last edited by vometia; 26/09/17 02:23 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
@vometia:

Really? Interesting. I thought I'd read that DOS2 plays in the exact same time as D2. think Thanks for showing us some numbers.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm not totally sure of OS2's position in the timeline, but I'm fairly certain it's quite a long time before D2 happens. Which speaking as someone who hasn't completely fought her way through the final stages yet is quite an interesting conundrum.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Damian is mentioned in D:OS2.

stranger
stranger
@vometia : Thanks a lot for the timeline ! I've not noticed that the games were placed so precisely (all these dates are in the games ?) I'm surprised to saw that it took so few times to the healer city to grow this way... Globalization ? xD

There's also a poet in Arx who's say he comes from Aleroth and traveled a lot before reach Arx. So yes, Reaper's Coast looks like to be far from it, maybe at the complete opposite of a continent ! (I will be interesting to question people who have a Rivellon map. laugh )

Last edited by Heim; 26/09/17 07:06 PM.

~
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I nicked most of it from the Wikia page but there's as much detail in the games as there is missing. biggrin I did wonder about Aleroth growing from a healers' village to a sprawling metropolis in 80 years but similar things tend to happen in our world too, so it's not inconceivable.

A few of us did spend a while speculating about the way the map fits together, bearing in mind that it is somewhat volatile. We know Broken Valley and the Orobas Fjords are pretty much due west of Aleroth, over the mountains, and speculated that Cyseal appears to be somewhere to the south-west of the map with the Dark Forest being the same as the south-west of the DD map. My best guess is that Reaper's Coast is somewhere in its general vicinity, probably slightly east of Cyseal, though that really is speculation on top of conjecture; and the location of the Council of the Seven is more of a mystery if it's the same place we saw in DD (I also wondered if the Champions' Fort in D2 may be a part of it, or at least led to it).

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard